ii. Farewell, Rafael Waithe

ii. farewell, rafael waithe
goodbyes sure do suck

"So, are you like – a second Headmaster, now?"

THE QUESTION slipped out of Ryan as he splayed over the king-sized bed within the Mikaelson Mansion's master bedroom. His mother, Raylynn, stood at the foot, removing her clothes from the suitcase set on the cream colored duvet. He listened to her explanation of how Caroline, the Salvatore School's Headmistress, granted her control of the students and staff, but it only raised more questions than answers.

     Raylynn laid a few shirts onto the bed and said, "no. Alaric is still the Headmaster. He'll continue to deal with the day-to-day operations. I'm just here to make sure things go back to normal."

     Ryan hummed from where he leaned against the wooden headboard. "Right," he drawled, not entirely believing that things in his life would ever really go back to normal. "How do you plan on doing that?"

     "Well, for starters, Caroline wants to hire a new Guidance Counselor." Raylynn walked across the room to a set of white, double doors. She opened them to reveal an empty closet. She grabbed a few forgotten hangers inside and moved back to the bed, proceeding to place her clothes onto them. "One who isn't going to flake at the first sign of trouble."

     Ryan huffed. "Good luck with that."

     Raylynn continued and ignored his comment. "Another thing is to regulate Alaric's decision making. Too many times now has his choices led to you kids getting into life-threatening situations."

     Ryan couldn't object to that. After all, Alaric did banish three of his students to a Prison World with his daughter's sociopathic uncle. And don't get him started on the whole "stealing the memories of Alyssa Chang" situation.

     With that brought another thought to Ryan's mind. "What does Dad think about all of this? You know, staying here and fixing things?" he asked.

     Raylynn turned from where she hung up some clothes and sighed. "I spilled the beans last night. He wasn't very happy that I lied, obviously, but he's glad your sister's awake and safe."

     Ryan quirked a brow toward his mother. There had to be more. He didn't believe for a second that his father, Klaus Mikaelson, would leave something as important as his daughter falling into a mysterious coma and his wife running off to save her to a few well filled comments.

     "And?"

     Raylynn rolled her eyes and met her son's curious stare. "He'll be here tomorrow."

     Ryan couldn't say that he was shocked. Too many things happened to himself and his sister for their parents not to step in. Or at least, for them not to check on their wellbeing. In fact, a visit was far from overdue. He honestly expected them to storm the place when they discovered he lied about Hope swan-diving into Malivore.