iv. A Birthday Surprise

iv. a birthday surprise
hold on tight

IN A SHOCKING turn of events, Ryan managed to fall into an easy sleep for the first time in weeks, possibly even months. When Landon's musical ended and Dr. Goodfellow, Puck the monster, vanished, a weight that seemed to hang heavy on his shoulders lifted. Or at least, faded quite a bit.

     If he were honest, Ryan didn't really know what it was. Maybe it had to do with the gossip and drama that surrounded his family finally coming to an end. After all, Landon surprisingly managed to paint his father, Klaus Mikaelson, in a fairly good light. He just hoped that meant it would all die down, or better yet, cease altogether.

     A soft breath escaped Ryan as his eyes fluttered open. He squinted, groaning when he realized the morning sun already peaked through the curtains drawn across his window. Not only did he have to get up and attend class, he woke before his alarm.

     Ryan had half a mind to turn over and shove his face into his pillow, but a knock on his dorm room door stopped him. "Come in," he called out, releasing a huff as he pushed himself up to sit.

     The door opened and Josie entered the room, smiling as she walked further inside. "I know it's early, but I wanted to be the first to tell you, Happy Birthday."

     Ryan paused, dropping his hand from where he rubbed at his eyes. Right. It was March 31st. His seventeenth birthday.

     Josie noticed his action and pressed her lips together. "You forgot your birthday?"

     "No, I," Ryan trailed off when she gave him an accusatory stare. "Okay, I did. Can you blame me with everything that's been going on?"

     Josie blinked, before she walked closer to where he still sat in the bed. "Guess not. Just wasn't expecting your mom's warning to be so literal."

     Ryan's brows furrowed. Josie talked to his mother? "What warning?"

     "Ran into her in the kitchen when I was getting breakfast. Told me that you'd probably forget about your birthday. It's apparently 'typical Ryan behavior,'" Josie relayed, raising her hands to add finger quotes for the last bit.

     Ryan would have to thank his mother for that later. He pressed his lips together and nodded. "Hate to admit she's right, but..."

      Josie smiled until her gaze lowered. Her expression immediately flattered as her cheeks tinged pink in the warm morning light.

      Ryan quirked a brow at her reaction. "What?" he questioned, following her line of sight. His whole body flushed when he noticed he didn't wear a shirt. A normal occurrence when he slept, but he usually didn't have to worry about seeing the girl he liked before he had a chance to slip one on. "Oh," Ryan muttered, waving his hand toward the shirt he discarded that night. He telekinetically snatched it into his hand and yanked it over his head.

      Josie swallowed with a shake of her head. "No, no, you're fine. It's - it's fine." She forced a smile onto her lips and stepped back from the bed. "I just wanted to say Happy Birthday in case your family wanted to steal you away for the day. I'll um..."

      When she pointed toward the door and moved for it, Ryan pulled his duvet back and stood to his bare feet. "Uh, yeah. Um, thank you."

      Josie continued to leave and looked back at him as she stood on the room's threshold. "You're welcome. I'll, uh, see you later."

      Ryan nodded with his lips pulled into a tight line. "Yeah, definitely."

      Josie gave him one last glance and then left the room, closing the door behind her.