Underground

Sophie wasn't sure how long how long she had been lying on that cold floor. The lack of natural light meant she had no way to tell how time was passing. She slipped in and out of consciousness giving her reprieve from her pain. She could have been down there for days or hours, she really didn't know. Her growling stomach suggested the former. The men came down sporadically, took turns beating her. It felt as if bruises were beginning to layer one another. It was eerily quiet in the cell, save for the occasional growl that floated down from the Bitten cells. 

She stared up into the darkness bitterly. She was going to die, lying in a windowless pit. Sophie hadn't been able to conjure up the silver thread again. No matter how she tried. Part of her wondered if it had been a fever dream. A plot her mind had cooked up to ease her fear. It was the most likely explanation because they hadn't come. Sophie's pack hadn't answered her call, so she had to believe it was because the thread wasn't real, not that she had abandoned. They wouldn't do that to her. Thaddeus wouldn't do that to her, Sophie consoled herself. They would not leave her to rot in a den filled with Bitten. They couldn't. 

Sophie raised her hand to her ribs and gingerly pressed down. She let out a sharp hiss. She could feel the separation of the bone between her fingers. It was pure agony. White hot pain seemed to shooting from every limb in her body. She was going to die, she knew it. Her heart ached at the thought. Ached for Thaddeus, she could only hope he was shielded before he realised it her body he was looking at. The sound of boots against concrete caused a ball to form in Sophie's stomach. She listened closely as the person grew closer and closer. Panic thrumming through her veins. She listened to the lock slide back. Hating that she was immobile on the floor. That she couldn't fight back, even if she wanted to. The door swung open causing a sliver of light to trickle into the cell. A low whistle sounded soon after. 

"I don't know what the Alpha was worried about. Thaddeus will never take you back looking like that." The man she assumed was Thaddeus' Father's Beta chuckled.. Sophie responded with a string of insults. He approached her, his footsteps slow and deliberate. As if he enjoyed eliciting fear. He knelt beside, hot breath curling over her face. "You're feisty. I'm going to enjoy watching him take that from you."

Sophie wasn't given the chance to respond as he pulled her forcefully to her feet. She cried out in response. Arms flying to her ribs, trying to stabilise the broken pieces. He ignored her cries of pain and carted her out of the room. As she was pulled into the light, surprise filtered through Sophie as she realised she could only see from one eye. She raised her fingers to her face to find her left eye had swelled shut.

Sophie used her good eye to peer into the cells that lined the hallway. She could see the disfigured forms of what had once been people pacing behind them. Something she was about to become. They turned the corner and Sophie was faced with a set of stairs. In that moment they seemed to be never ending. 

"Move!" He growled shoving her towards the stairs. Sophie barely managed to catch herself before she slammed into the concrete steps. 

"Are you trying to kill me before we make it to him." Sophie growled. He only huffed in response. Pulling her upright roughly and pushing her up the stairs. By the time they reached the top of the stairs, tears were burning in her eyes and her jaw ached from gritting her teeth together. They stepped through a heavy iron door. Sophie wasn't sure if it would be all that useful against them. They entered what looked to Sophie like a normal living room. She looked around and could see a kitchen across the hall. It would have been a normal house if it weren't for the complete lack of windows. They were underground, she realised with a jolt. That's why they couldn't find the nest. They were looking for camps tucked away in forests and caves. They never thought to look down.