Proud

~Proud~

Sophie walked down the dirt track slowly, taking her time. She breathed in deeply enjoying the sweet summer air that was growing cooler with each passing day. The sound of a leaf being crushed underfoot from somewhere behind her had Sophie tensing with discomfort. Taking in a deep breath,  she brushed the noise away and continued to walk trying to enjoy her time outside. Yet another leaf was turned to dust and Sophie spun sharply, narrowing her eyes at the person behind her. Her sudden stop had his eyes widening in shock.

"Brett" she seethed "for the last time, walk beside me. You're freaking me out"

"Sorry Luna" he spoke sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head as if he were a child caught doing the wrong thing "it's just not the done thing." Sophie didn't say anything, she simply quirked an eyebrow. 

"I" Brett started to say but thought better of it when he was met with Sophie's challenging gaze "yes Luna" he muttered sulkily. They walked side by side in silence, Sophie couldn't help but notice how tense the boy was. 

"Brett," Sophie's voice was filled with caution. He signalled for her to be quiet. Brett was alert, his eyes scanning the area around them with precision, reaching one calloused hand back he tugged Sophie directly behind him. Sophie's nose was pressed directly against Brett's spine, she was too scared to care. A mix of adrenaline and terror swirled through her veins as visions of the bitten taunted her. Not again she groaned internally. She was so tired of being scared, of Thaddeus, of the people who lived here, of the bitten. It seemed that no where was safe. 

"Get back here!" a voice shouted, peaking Sophie's interest. The sound of a child's laughter had both Sophie and Brett relaxing tenfold. He released his grip on her but remained glued to her side. A small boy came barrelling out of the tree line in front of them.

"Auntie!" the boy screamed at the top of his lungs. Sophie was startled for a half a second until she recognised the dark haired boy racing towards her. Ignoring the incredulous look she received from Brett, Sophie lowered herself onto her knees to receive the boy. He slammed into her, knocking the air out of her lungs on impact. 

"Hello Sebastian" she smiled down at him. A large man came bursting from the trees moments later and Brett let out a low warning growl. The man halted almost immediately, his eyes scanning over the situation. 

"Look Daddy, it's Auntie!" Sophie recognised him, he was older now but it was him, she was sure. Her eyes hardened as she stared him down. 

"Luna" his voice conveyed how startled he was to see her. He bowed his head instantly. "I'm sorry for my son, I don't know what's gotten into him."

Sophie swallowed the lump of anger building inside her. He didn't recognise her. "It's fine, I am his Aunt after all." Brett watched the interaction with an increasingly confused expression. 

"Luna?" Ruby's chooser questioned, tilting his head to the side. Much like a confused dog. 

"My name is Sophie" she bit out harshly, smoothing the hair out of Sebastian's eyes as she did so. 

"Oh." realisation crossed his face "Luna, my name is Elliot." 

"I know" Sophie spoke softly "I know your name. I know who are. I remember you."

"You do?" he seemed surprised by this. 

"Of course I do" she spoke, settling her steely gaze on him "I could have never been chosen, been eighty years old a million miles away and I would never forget your face." Elliot frowned, as if he didn't understand what it was that Sophie meant. Of course he didn't understand, The Choosing to him was a right of a passage and Ruby had been his prize. He didn't understand that Ruby had a family that waited up all night for her to come home. A family who didn't leave the house for an entire month when they realised what had happened. A family who didn't know if their daughter was dead or alive. Something Sophie's own family was going through right now.