Trouble and rebellion

I heard sudden silence, then knocking on my door.

"Nairobi wants to talk to you, Athens. Please, come fast. It is important, she said," stated Sergio.

Great, I have to get out of bed. I quickly grabbed my pants and the t-shirt from last day and headed out to the phone.

"Hey, Nairobi. Athens here. What's up?" I asked in the sleepiest voice possible.

"Good to hear you had some sleep - because I didn't. The printing machine was stopped by one of the hostages, Ariadna to be more specific," she said, on the cameras I could see her walking around nervously.

"That bitch! Tell me that you could restart the machine without any problem, please tell me," I asked like I was having a nightmare. The worst nightmare ever.

"I would like to tell you that everything is fine, but nothing is. We didn't get everything out of it, it's totally stuck. We are fucked, girl. We need you, Berlin accepted this fact too"

Do you know that feeling, when you think that nothing else can go wrong? Well, that feeling sucks. Everything can go wrong, even things you don't expect to do so.

"I will go back and fix it for you, as soon as possible." I said without hesitating. "I won't let you down again, tell this to Berlin."

Nairobi was doubting my plan, with reason of course.

"The professor will not let you get back, you know that, right? It's too risky. Can't you give me instructions? I've worked with this kind of machine before, but never fixed one. Maybe it's time!"

I ran through her idea in my mind before answering.

"It's even riskier than me being shot. There are no cameras nearby the machine. I can't give you any instructions until I didn't see the machine, the exact place of the issue and stuff. I have to..."

I couldn't finish my sentence, the professor took out the phone of my hand and stated strictly:

"She will not go back in the mint. You need to deal with it or get out as soon as possible." But then he remembered that they needed a tunnel for escaping - it was going to be ready in 7 days. One entire week. "Nairobi, try finding out every single information about the problem. Call us when you have it, we have to fix it." He hung up and looked at me. "Don't ever think about going back. It's impossible. It's too risky. I want money but I don't want dead people. Especially I don't want to see you get shot. It will be riskier than Russian roulette" he was clearly curious of the end of my story, so I sat down and told him the rest.

I told him that Berlin pulled the trigger 4 times in total, with no success. I have had a 50% chance left of surviving the next shot, but I still didn't want to shoot Arturo. I was sobbing, trembling, but I was flooded with anger. I had enough, but I didn't think my following step over. With a fast movement I pointed my gun at Berlin and pulled my trigger. It was not loaded. It was just a stupid test and I fell for it. I dropped the pistol and fell to the ground.

"Seriously, cariño? You wanted to shoot me, your leader, instead of this gentleman who beat you up and almost fucked up the whole plan?" Berlin asked. I couldn't even look at him.

He turned his gun towards Arturo, and shot him in the leg. That bullet could have landed in my brain if I didn't act. But at what cost?

"Son of a bitch!" shouted Arturo as blood flow all over the floor.

"Come here, Athens. Everything is alright," said Berlin and pulled me up from the ground into his arms. I felt that something was off but I had no strength to push him away. "I knew you were not supposed to be in a team of criminals. But don't worry, I'll help you find your way out," he whispered these words into my ear.

He kissed my cheek, picked me up, carried me out of the room, I had no idea of what he was about to do. He put me on a table-like thing tied me down with tape and ropes, opened the door, pushed me out. And there I was, rolling down the stairs.

As I finished my story, Sergio was more and more nervous. He tried to seem calm but he couldn't help but wonder if his brother was insane or what. He was confused. The stopped machines frustrated him less than me being hurt, at least that's what I could see in his eyes.

"I will go back there and fix everything," I said. No matter how bad this state was, he kept on repeating no. "Is there any other reason behind you not letting me back there, or you just don't want me to get shot? Do you think I'd make the same mistakes again?" I asked.

I was waiting for his honest response, but instead he replied like Sergio, not like the professor.

"I don't want you to get even more hurt. I can't see you suffer anymore. I'd rather go in there myself than let you be in such pain as you are in right now."

I felt like I betrayed my team. I wasn't even mad at Berlin, I was mad at myself. I had to prove them all wrong. I was capable of being a part of that heist, even if they didn't see it. Well, I didn't see it either, not yet. I had to stand up for myself, I couldn't be weak anymore. I stood up, entered my room, grabbed my gun from yesterday and I made sure it was loaded. I left my room and surprised the professor more than anyone else before.