2: Day Two

Day number two—only six, full days until Saul gets back and I possibly hightail the hell out of here

Day number two—only six, full days until Saul gets back and I possibly hightail the hell out of here. Imagine my immense surprise when I woke up not in my dorm room, but in fucking Alaska. There was a tray of food for me on the night table, which I had "accidentally" knocked off on my way to the bathroom. Again, I'm not making it easy for them.

When I went into the bathroom to shower, there were already clean clothes on the counter for me with the tags still attached to them and a new sling. Heidi obviously wanted me to know they were brand new. I didn't pay it much mind when I got dressed. And when I came back out, there was no trace of the tray or overturned food and orange juice. Just a single bottle of water.

I almost didn't take it, but I'm dying of thirst. If they drug me, then so be it. I can't stage a hunger strike without at least having some water. After draining the water until the plastic crackled, I began meandering about the space, rummaging through drawers and the desk and anywhere something could be hidden. So far, I've only found random crystals and some money. When I reach underneath the bottom of the piano, my fingers touch something that's not the same texture as the instrument.

"And bingo was his name-o," I murmur in a sing-song tone to myself as I dislodge the box from the bottom. The brown leather surface is what first catches my eye on the small keepsake box. On the front is a gold padlock, prepared to keep any snooper out. "Good thing I've trained for this," I mumble, taking the box over to the desk and setting it on the surface. With nearby paper clips that I unbend, I easily pick the lock and remove it before opening the lid. It's about five inches deep, filled with photos, dried plants, some other trinkets, and letters. It's almost filled to the brim, but I pull out each item and intimately study it.

There's photos with Heidi, Christian, and some other people I don't recognize. When I pull one out that just has Heidi and another man in it, I realize the man must be Saul. He's... attractive, that's for sure. 

Now I know why Heidi was all twisted up about him. With an olive complexion and dark brown hair that contains natural caramel and platinum highlights, he stands out next to Heidi and her strawberry blonde. In this particular photo, his hair is loose, a little past his shoulders, and his beard and mustache are just long enough to cover his chin and upper lip. 

He's muscular and tall, and his other features tell me that he may have some Alaskan Natives in his bloodline. The most striking thing about him, though, are the two different colored eyes—one blue, one brown. Just like the wolf.

My mind races back to the mingled brown wolf—the Alpha of the others—and his heterochromatic eyes. They're the same. Slightly weirded out by this fact, I continue to rummage through pictures and letters until I'm halfway through and I encounter a quartz stone on a leather chain. 

Accompanying the stone is a leather flap that has the name "Bea" carved across it. I run my fingers over the name before setting the necklace aside and flipping through photos. These are different than the ones before. They're older, Saul younger, and he's with a girl I don't see in any of the other pictures. She looks just like him, but younger. He's maybe my age in these and she's probably a preteen.