8: A Dip in the Lake

One month

One month.

That's how long I've been with Saul and his "pack." My days mainly consist of me doing absolutely nothing, harassing Saul, being a bitch to Heidi, avoiding Cain, small-talking with Frankie, and razzing Christian. Although I wouldn't say I'm on good terms with any of these people, I think they may believe I am. Which is the point.

I can't just outright pretend to trust them all, or they'd be suspicious. That's why I began with Frankie and Christian—the weak links in the chain. Frankie was forced here, just like I was. And Christian was abandoned by his so-called mate. They're the easiest targets, in my mind.

I read Saul's journal again, early this morning while lying on the floor next to his bed. He started hiding it in different places around the room; however with the exorbitant amount of time on my hands, I always find it. Vivian is adjusting to life here, I think, it said, an entry from two days ago. I know it's going to get easier, but right now, I don't think she'll ever stay. Not willingly. Or love me.

And he's right about one thing—I don't love him. And if he'd let me, I'd haul ass out of town in 2 seconds flat. My eyes skate over to the mountain ridges Killian Tucker supposedly occupies. I don't know if I could even leave here now that they've put up the enchantments. If I wanted to run, how far would I get?

"You almost ready?" Frankie catches my attention mid-stretch, pulling my eyes from the scenery. She's wearing the typical running ensemble, and Christian follows her out of the house donning the same.

"Yeah, just let me finish my stretching," I nod, dropping one foot and pulling the other up behind me.

"We ran, what, two miles yesterday? Let's see if we can do three," Frankie spins her hair up into a tight bun atop her head that I know will easily fall out once we start moving.

"I can do three in my sleep," I scoff, flicking a braid over my shoulder playfully.

"You still can't keep up with me, though," Christian winks at me as he passes and I roll my eyes.

"Have you forgotten that you're a literal dog? A supernatural creature? I'm just a human—of course I can't keep up you twat," I harangue him and he laughs, tossing his head back in the dim light of the day.

"Whatever makes you feel better, Vivi," He taunts and I finally drop my leg before bolting past him, toward the trailhead near the lake. He easily catches up with a chuckle and is soon overtaking me.

Frankie runs leisurely beside me, but I know she only does it so I won't be alone in the back. I'm still a prisoner. I'm still in danger whenever we leave the meadow the house sits in. They're waiting for Killian Tucker to come and take me.

But the question is, is he going to take me by force, or am I going to willingly flee to him? We don't speak as we all run together; Christian has slowed to a few paces in front of Frankie and I. Birds chirp as sunshine peeks through the evergreen and spruce trees. In the distance, I can hear the lake sloshing against the shore.