3: Saul

Day number five—only three, full days until Saul gets here and possibly puts an end to this madness

Day number five—only three, full days until Saul gets here and possibly puts an end to this madness. Why did I leave out days three and four? Well, because I spent the better part of them in a drugged-stupor. After I accidentally drank the laced water, Heidi continued to administer drugs to keep me docile and incoherent. 

If that guaranteed something, it guaranteed that I will never eat or drink anything from them ever again. I'd actually let myself die of starvation before I allow them to take control of me again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not above smoking a joint or popping a pill every now and then to loosen up, but they drugged me without my consent—a situation no one should ever have to be in.

"Vivian, are you still pouting?" Christian asks on the other side of Saul's bedroom door. I sit, complacent in the chair by the window, watching the clouds shift by slowly above the mountains. I ignore him, just like I've ignored the other two, Heidi and Francesca, who have come to try and smooth things over with me. 

"Look, we didn't want to have to drug you, but Saul told us to if it was absolutely necessary." That sparks my interest and I hurry over to the door and open it. Outside is a surprised Christian who smiles sheepishly when he sees me, "Hey, Vivi."

"Saul told you to drug me?" I ask and he balks, scratching the back of his head in discomfort.

"You were actually listening to me?"

"You were talking to me."

"Yeah, but Heidi and Frankie say you haven't been listening to them."

"I haven't been responding—that doesn't mean I don't hear them."

When he doesn't say anything else, I ask again, "Saul told you to drug me?"

He lets out a short, nervous laugh, "Look, Vivi, it's not what you think, okay? He said it was only in the most extreme of cases, and Heidi knew you wouldn't take pain medicine for your shoulder, so you'd be in pain, and you might try to run again, which would cause more damage to your recent injuries. That's the only reason we did it—"

"You drugged me without my consent. Are you really trying to excuse that?" My voice raises a couple octaves and he sighs.

"No, I'm sorry. We shouldn't have. We just don't want you to hurt yourself—"

"Then let—me—leave—!" I yell out of frustration. Frustration from being kept here against my will, from being left in the dark, from repeating myself so many fucking times.

"I can't, you know that. When Saul—"

"I don't care about what Saul wants or when Saul gets here. He obviously doesn't care too much about me, since he told y'all to drug me! I hate him and I hate it here and I hate all of you! So just get the hell away from me!"