In Which: Mai Shares A Secret

Day Four

5:30am

The Koku Inn

Mai rolled over in her sleep, her hand slapping the vacant pillow next to her. Her room was still and silent, gray light slipping through her window in the pre-dawn. Not for a moment as she dreamed of Niko, Naru, blue dresses, and ice cream, did it occur to her that her peace was about to be disturbed.

With a bang Mai's door flew open and then slammed closed. Sharp foot steps, like heels on a hardwood floor, approached, and with a swoosh that sounded like curtains being thrown open, pale light shown against Mai face.

Mai was quite suddenly yanked from her dreams. With a start her eyes flew open.

"Wha- Ayako...?" she stammered, her voice cracking from sleep. At the end of the bed with her hands on her hips stood a very irritated looking priestess.

"Come on, get in the shower, I'll pick out your clothes..."

And without waiting for an answer the tall woman bent down and began digging through her suitcase,

"Eh, these smell-- don't tell me you haven't been washing your clothes?!" she cried, surfacing with a t-shirt she held out in disgust.

Still in a daze, Mai decided to overlook the insult (even though embarrassingly true...) and cut to the chase. With a glance at the clock, Mai looked back to Ayako in confusion,

"Ayako, what are you doing in my room-"

"It was unlocked."

"-at five in the morning...?"

The priestess dropped the t-shirt and crossed her arms, a satisfied smirk formed on her red lips,

"Well, if I had to be up at this time, I sure wasn't going to let you keep sleeping."

Mai's brain struggled to keep up. This was not an answer she understood. Helplessly she glanced at the clock again and back to Ayako,

"But it's five in the morning!"

Ayako examined her nails,

"Yeah, well I didn't like it either, but tough. Now get showered."

Mai stared hard at the woman, trying to understand some part of this.

This is a joke. Just some stupid joke Ayako's playing on me....

And on that thought Mai threw herself back down in bed and pulled the covers over her shoulders.

"Hey! Mai, I'm serious about this! We're going to be late if you don't get out of bed!"

Mai shut her eyes, willing dreams to come take her, hardly caring about the thing they would be late for.

"Mai, I'm warning you, I am not a morning person and if you don't get out of that bed..."

Mai pulled a pillow over her head,

"Leave me alone Ayako, I'm so getting revenge on you tomorrow morning! At four I'll come stopping and yelling into your room and we'll see how you like it!"

The pillow was snatched up from Mai's head; Ayako leered down at her,

"You won't need to; Mrs. Koku woke me up this morning and if you think this is yelling, try listening to her!"