In Which: Mai Blames Naru

Day Five

3:45pm

The Miyuki Mansion

There was a still moment as Mai's words registered in her partner's ears,

"Mr. Miyuki," he repeated, "as in dead playwright, owner of this house, Miss Miyuki's father-- Mr. Miyuki?"

A stiff breeze rippled the pond they stood near, catching Mai's bangs so that they fluttered before her eyes,

"That's the one, Bou-san..."

The monk blinked and took a step towards her, "You think you were in his memory?"

Mai nodded firmly, "I know I was."

Her partner paused and then threw a cautious glance at the garden gate, drawing Mai's attention there as well.

Where is everyone?

"Then, he exists? I mean--" the monk lowered his voice, his eyes shining as he turned to her in the last of the daylight, "He's really...around-- Mr. Sachi is telling the truth after all."

Mai swallowed, trying to hide her discomfort at being unable to mirror her partner's excitement. What was news to him, she had known nearly from the start.

"You didn't believe it before?" Mai asked, recalling his support against Naru and Masako's doubts.

Bou-san looked thoughtful and shrugged, "Well, I knew you were having strong feelings and strange things were happening, but aside from that encounter in the hall, no one has seen him until now-- your vision changes everything."

Mai bit her lip, attempting to ignore the pang of guilt welling up inside her chest. With a frown, she grasped the monk's arm, causing him to look at her.

"Bou-san," she began, her eyes darting to the garden gate, "I've been keeping a kind of promise, and if I'm going to tell you anything more, I need to know you'll keep the promise too."

Her partner followed her gaze, and then turned back to her slowly-- his brows furrowing in concern and confusion,

"Mai, what are you into? A promise, for who...?"

Mai released his arm and took a step back. This was it, the moment of truth.

At that very instant, the sun, hanging low in the sky, slipped down behind the Miyuki mansion. Mai was glad for the shadow cast upon her face,

"Mr. Miyuki."

"But, how? Mai-- he's dead."

"Exactly."

There was silence between them for a few beats as the words sunk in. The monk's eyes widened then and he suddenly took her face in his hands,

"Mai," he said, almost breathlessly, his astonished face peering intently at hers, "am I to understand that you've been talking, making promises-- to the ghost of Mr. Miyuki?"

Her eyes locked with his, Mai gripped his wrists. Reading the surprise and uncertainty in his expression at this revelation, she knew had a lot of explaining to do. Mai only hoped, as the image of the ghostly playwright surfaced in her mind, that she had made the right decision...

I know it is. I can't keep lying to him; I need Bou-san on this one.

"Yes Bou-san, nearly this whole--"