In Which: Mai Is Missing Something

Day Six

7:30pm

The Miyuki Theater

Naru disappeared from the door frame. It took Mai sixty seconds. Sixty seconds to collect herself, to breathe, to calm her racing pulse. And then she was up from the chair, unsteady, but determined to follow after him. Worry fueled her every step.

Something's wrong.

"Naru—"

Mai paused and cast a look up and down the hall outside base. It was empty.

He's gone...?

Frowning, Mai picked up her pace. He had told her to meet him at the banquet hall, but where was that? Maybe someone in the lobby would know...

It was then that Mai heard the voices. For a split second she thought that it was Naru, that she had caught up with him, but in listening closer, she realized that it wasn't. The tone was stern, but melodious.

Mai rounded a bend in the hall, just hiding the lobby from sight. The voices become clear. So did the people they belonged to. A man and a woman. Their conversation was hushed, but serious. Mai had the distinct feeling of intruding, that this was a private meeting.

Caught off guard, Mai halted and adverted her eyes, wondering if they had seen her, if she could still pretend that she hadn't seen them...but that was ridiculous. What did it matter? What was so wrong in finding them talking? Except there was something wrong. A strange tension hung in the air. It felt familiar. Familiar like the tension that had settled over herself and Naru back at base minutes ago.

But that can't be.

Awkwardly, Mai's gaze had fallen to their feet. They were standing close.

Too close.

Mai was suddenly struck with a kind of deja vu. Her high heels, his polished dress shoes, their position. It reminded her of something. But, what...?

"...I'm responsible. What would happen, then?"

"I don't know what you want me to say."

"Oh. Mai, hello."

Mai startled, her attention snapping from the floor to meet the eyes of the man. His expression matched hers, but then he cleared his throat, and seeming to master himself he opened his mouth to speak again. The woman next to him had no intention of joining the conversation. She turned from the man without a glance at Mai, and stalked away.

Mai watched Miss Miyuki go, her gaze lingering on the heiress' pair of black heels which clicked sharply against the lobby floor.

"I'm sorry you had to see that."

Mai blinked over at Mr. Sachi. He appeared disturbed. He took no notice of her confused silence and continued on,

"I might have gotten a bit worked up, just with all that happened tonight...to think she could claim that it was nothing. The nerve."

They were arguing?

"But see, I've gone and distracted you. Where were you headed to?"

Mai startled a second time.

Naru.

She had been distracted.

"The banquet hall," Mai answered, finding her voice again.

"Perfect. That's just where I was heading, I'll escort you."