In Which: Mai Walks On Eggshells

Day Nine

11:15am

The Miyuki Theater

"I don't know."

"Bou-san, it'll be fine."

"Mai, it's one thing to cover for you so you can sneak into Mr. Miyuki's office, but to cover for you so you can hunt down Madame Miyuki alone...? I don't like it."

Mai heaved a sigh, and then fixed the monk with a pleading look.

"Bou-san, I'm not alone. I can't do this without you."

A beat passed, the monk staring back at her with something odd in his eyes.

"What would I even say to Naru if something were to happen to you?"

Mai blinked, taken aback.

Naru?

"You wouldn't..."

Ayako maybe, but not

"I wouldn't what? I wouldn't have to answer to him?"

There was a pause, Mai caught off guard. It was obvious what the answer was.

"I would, Mai. He'd demand to know why I let you run off recklessly, getting yourself entangled with some witch."

Mai crossed her arms, her ire sparked.

"I don't care what he thinks."

The monk let out an exasperated breath.

"Look, I know I have fun joking around about him but...he cares about you, Mai."

Mai dropped her gaze to her feet, her skin burning hot. How had their conversation come to this point? Desperate to get back to the matter at hand, Mai anxiously glanced over the monk's shoulder, towards the theater lobby.

"You've got to trust me, Bou-san."

"It isn't you I don't trust."

"Madame Miyuki isn't dangerous."

"Says who?"

"My intuition."

The monk pinched the bridge of his nose. Mai managed a small smile, he rarely doubted her intuition.

"What is your exact plan?"

Sensing his resignation, Mai gave his arm a reassuring squeeze,

"Speak with Madame Miyuki, learn what she knows about the other ghost, and come back before anyone notices I'm gone."

The monk raised an eyebrow at her,

"How will you find her?"

Mai shrugged with nervous energy,

"Someone will know."

The monk looked thoughtful, and then—

"Those old biddies."

"The seamstresses?"

"Yeah, them. I bet they know."

Mai smiled wider,

"You're right Bou-san. I'll go see them first."

The monk ran an agitated hand through his hair, "I still don't like it..."

"You will when I return with answers," she countered, beginning to back away, down the hall.