Premise: AfterLife

Original AfterLife cover

Both covers made using Canva Pro

Inspiration:

Imagine that a person's brain could be scanned in great detail and recreated in a computer simulation. The person's mind and memories, emotions and personality would be duplicated. In effect, a new and equally valid version of that person would now exist, in a potentially immortal, digital form. This futuristic possibility is called mind uploading.

-- Michael Graziano. The Guardian. "What happens if your mind lives for ever on the Internet?". 2019

Premise: In this dystopian futuristic novella, radical freedom fighters vow to end the use of virtual reality to profiteer from the impoverished and imprisoned.

Main prompt (79): "The Virtual Implant was supposed to be a revolutionary breakthrough; for a time, it was."

Secondary prompt (66): "When you die, you come back. But you never come back the same, and there's always a price to pay for resurrection."

Logline: When Tara Walters discovers the disturbing truth about AlphaGalaxy's new virtual console, AfterLife™, she must risk everything in order to expose the enslavement of digital Sims.

Status: completed but unedited ¦ editing begins July 1, 2021

Word count: 20,231/20,000

___

Author's Note:

This work began as an entry for the ONC 2021 contest, but my rewrite took too long, which meant I had to leave the contest. Didn't care. Finished it anyway. :D Woot! ♥

Thank you for your support! ♥ If you enjoy it, please add it to your lists/libraries, share with your friends, and/or vote and comment. It tells me I'm on the right track and helps me fix my mistakes.

Please be aware that there might be a few inconsistencies while I fix them in the editing phase. It's complete but in need of a bit of a tidy-up.