Chapter 4

Like the Viper, Stella prefers the dark.

Every night she descends into the depths of her unfinished basement and keeps a silent vigil in front of a montage of holographic screens. Usually watching VR streams comforts her. But every time her brother fights in the gaming arena, Stella fears for his life.

Her only companion is a stray calico she's found starving in the streets. Now the purring feline rests upon her lap after dinner, kneading on her fleece jacket. As Stella scans the array of images in search of her brother, she pets the cat to keep calm. Even her hypnotic purr can't ease the guilt that burns deep inside her.

A vengeful boa constrictor wraps its body around her heart, squeezing until her chest aches. You should have taken his place.

Stella wishes she could. 

All she can do to find redemption is to rescue her brother from his digital hell. Only the Viper can set him free, though. Stella will etch away at her mind for as long as it takes to convince her to release him.

In the meantime, Stella can only watch while her brother prepares to face his foes. In the virtual gaming realm of Arcadia, Rainer_the_Barbarian warms up for tonight's battle, sparring with his counterpart, Ironheart720.

"Harder," she says. "Don't hold back."

When he throws punches like a whirlwind, Ironheart absorbs them all with a smirk. She's strong as hell. Not even Kevlar armor can hide her gorgeous curves and powerful muscles. It's amazing Rainer has resisted her charms for so long.

"I never hold back," he retorts through clenched teeth. "You're just a flicking tank."

"Damn straight."

When they swap roles, Ironheart punches like she's a warrior on a mission. Perspiration drips from her brow, soaking her dark bangs. Each punch and kick comes with a series of grunts and heavy breaths that makes Stella blush. Their sparring is like a vicious dance. 

In some ways, fighting is more intimate than fucking.

He takes all she can give, never once breaking eye contact. In an instant, he can interpret Ironheart's every ruse and meets every strike.

"You don't have laser vision, ya know," quips Ironheart. "Or X-ray vision."

Rainer laughs.

Ironheart catches him off-guard, flipping him onto his back. In a few deft moves, she straddles him and pins his wrists down. At six foot six and almost three hundred pounds, he's definitely letting her win. Unless she's hacked her muscles to gain the advantage, of course. 

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" whispers Ironheart in his ear.

"Maybe."

Stella casts away her gaze, her cheeks burning. Enough, brother.

Fight first, fuck later.

Ironheart gets to her feet, reaches down, and offers Rainer her hand. He grasps her forearm and hauls himself to his feet.

"Ready to kick these rich motherflickers?" he asks.

"Hellz yeah!" Ironheart clasps his hand as they cross forearms. She gives his shoulder a firm slap. "Let's go vacuum some loot."

If Rainer's life wasn't at stake, no way in hell would Stella watch. This game isn't the worst, though. Dragon Fire: Reincarnation blends the genres of martial arts and wrestling.

At least it isn't laser sword fighting or a first-person shooter. Those matches make Stella sick with worry.

Maybe it's the choreography, the laser effects, or the epic electronic dance music, but this game comes closest to art. In the ring, the fighters execute moves with the agility and grace of wildcats. The Kevlar meshed with faux-leather make their uniforms intimidatingly cool.