Chapter 12

My heart flutters with excitement when I check my holojector for the billionth time. No sign of Stella, but that's to be expected. Her important meeting has probably run late, which is promising. If she decides to acquire AfterLife, it'll be a game changer.

I can already see the headlines: VR Mogul Acquires Digital Heaven.

Just be patient.

Rumbling with hunger, my stomach demands a savory morsel while a pot of sauce simmers on the stove. The scent of Italian herbs and spices permeates the kitchen. It's almost torturous. I've skipped breakfast and lunch in order to save room for our tenth anniversary dinner: conchiglie pasta with chorizo.

As a special treat, I've made it by hand. Food printing might be convenient, but nothing tastes better than crunching into golden-brown garlic bread or savoring the crisp texture and vibrant colors of real veggies in a garden salad. It's worth every holocoin. Actual ingredients have a flavor and freshness that extrusion can't quite replicate yet.

Decked out with our finest porcelain china, crystal water goblets, and a linen tablecloth, the mahogany table looks inviting. The dimmed lights give our dining room a gentle ambience while the flames of twin candlesticks dance to the rhythm of soothing music. I've even used our silver cutlery, which forms one straight line from the forks to the knives and spoons.

To mark the occasion, I've ditched comfy projector attire in favor of real clothing. It doesn't happen often. I'm wearing my cute little black dress, the one with the princess seams that fits snugly around the bodice and falls gently to my knees.

When I give a childlike twirl, the skirt flares out in a circle.

Classy and fun, Stella always says.

Clicking my tongue, I check my holojector once more. Not a peep. It's not my style to turn into a royal fusspot due to a bit of tardiness. Not when Stella's cushy job at AfterLife means she gets to create virtual reality--her true passion--while it gives me the freedom to do freelance work from the comfort of my own VR pod. Those perks are worth the odd late night.

Still, this is our special day. I'm a bit disappointed, and my stomach is gnawing at me.

Hope she gets home soon.

When my holojector pings, it startles the living crap out of me. I knock over my glass of ice water, and it shatters into a thousand tiny shards. 

"Ahh, shit!"

Aila appears in the middle of my kitchen and vacuums the shards within seconds. It pings again. "Incoming video feed from Stella Gotthard," says Aila in a calm tone. "Do you accept?"

"Yes, yes!" The tomato sauce is burning and the pasta water is boiling out of control, making me press the wrong damn button. "Accept, Aila!"

"To confirm, shall I--?"

"Accept, dammit!"

Stella smiles brightly, wearing that gorgeous shade of crimson lipstick I love so much. "Hey, my love. Sorry I ran a bit late. Stupid meeting took forever."

I grin. "That's fine. How did it go? Should I break out the Bollinger?"

She gives me that coy grin that makes my heart sing. "Mayyybe."

"AG sold AfterLife?" I ask, almost shrieking with excitement.

She nods. The goofiest grin spreads across her face. 

That's it! I can't hold back anymore. It's like I've regressed to being a teenager, jumping up and down like when I got accepted into Harvard. 

"I'm so proud of you, Stella!"