Chapter 10

Once again Paul and I meet in front of our favorite café, The Mighty Pen. In James Bond style, I sneak the Fly back into his side pocket while giving him a one-armed embrace. He inspects it for any sign of damage or overuse. Satisfied, he tucks it back into the breast pocket of his designer jacket. 

"Now I can breathe again."

"Are you sure you can?" My voice sounds bitterer than Paul's ristretto. "Aren't you the least bit curious what I found?"

"With any luck, you've got a lead on the Viper." He curls his lip. "If you do, can I get a cut of the reward? Since I provided the Fly and all?"

"Flick the Viper!"

Paul narrows his eyes. "Watch your tongue, damn you! You'll be the death of both of us."

No, your coffee addiction will do the work for me.

With a scoff, he opens the old-school glass door for me. I lead us to our favorite booth. 

Our robotic assistant doesn't have to ask what we want to drink because we always order the same thing. Their index fingertip slides open and pours fresh coffee into our ceramic mugs. Sparkling water gushes from their pinky finger.  

"Just flag me when you're ready," says the robotic server before darting to the next table.

Reaching over to the condiments, I activate a holographic menu. The fancy 3D pictures that make my stomach rumble in protest. It even allows you to sample three meals digitally before ordering. 

Today calls for a celebration. Today's the day Paul and I destroy AG for good.

Normally we keep it simple and order some version of our favorite drug. But this is no time for a fancy coffee. I'm going to order enough food to turn into a prime hog.

"What are you getting?" I ask him.

"Ah, the usual."

"Jesus!"

He pinches the menu away. "What?"

"You need to eat something." I cast a glance over his hollow cheeks and the dark circles under his eyes. "Man does not live on coffee alone."

"What are you getting?"

"A rare bloody steak with extra fries and a garden salad," I reply with a grin. "I'm even going to get bleu cheese dressing. Don't give a damn if it costs me a hundred holocoins."

"Holy Moses, you did find a lead on the Viper, didn't you?" asks Paul, his eyes wide with awe.

"Dude, drop it with the Viper."

"Then what?"

"I've discovered something that will destroy AG's reputation forever," I whisper under my breath. "With this evidence, you can write the story of your life, and we'll free our mutual friend."

He narrows his eyes. "Who?"

"Who, indeed?"

Cue his blank stare.

"Zephyr," I say, incredulous. "Who else?"

Paul's eyes flash in anger. "Are you flicking kidding me? I told you to drop it!"

"I have proof."

"You said you understood," he whispers, slamming his palm on the wooden table. "We will not touch this slavery nonsense. I refuse to print that anarchist, left-wing, radical...bullshit!"

"What the flick is wrong with you?"

"Keep your goddamn voice down!"

"Or what? Huh?"