4

The four stood on the sand while staring at a bike shack.

"A bike shack right where my house used to be!" Reggie complained, letting out a sigh.

Odette pointed to where another house had been. "Looks like they made the Meyersons' house into a noodle shop."

"Why couldn't they have made mine into a pizzeria or something?"

Odette shrugged. "Not sure. Hopefully my parents haven't moved."

Alex glanced at her. "Maybe not. You did live near Luke."

"I guess our folks are gone," Reggie said.

Alex let out a sad sigh. "No, everyone's gone. Twenty-five years gone!"

Odette sniffled. "At least you guys were together when you died. I was all alone. I had no one. Uh, family, friends, Bobby, everyone. Speaking of Bobby, I wonder what he's doing."

"I guess that vegetarian lucked out," Reggie replied. "What do you think happened to him?"

The ghosts shrugged before Luke said, "He probably just got old and moved in like everyone else."

Alex frowned. "Dude, how are you so casual about this? Don't you want to figure out what happened?"

"Let's be real for a second. It's not like we were that close to our families; not like Odette was. Reggie, your parents were a fight away from a divorce! Alex, I - your parents were never cool after you told them you were gay. I ran away from my family. The only one who had a stable home was Odette."

"None of us, except Odette, had it great! All right? But at least we had something. You know what we have to do now?" Luke opened his mouth to speak.

Alex cut him off. "And before you say cool teleportation skills, just so you know, I'm not entirely okay with that either. All right, it tingles in weird places!"

Luke chuckled softly and Odette shook her head before saying, "A little too much information, Alex."

Luke got up from the log as he said, "I'll tell you what we've had since the day we came together. Guys, we have us. And we're the only family we're ever gonna need. You know what else we have?"

"I'm gonna guess death breath," Reggie replied, causing Odette to giggle.

"Our music, you dork!" Luke chuckled. "We have music, you guys. People can actually hear us play! They can't see us, fine. But they can feel us! If I had my guitar, I'd play for all these people right now. Just like we used to at the pier."

"They can't tip if they can't see," Alex told him.

Odette shook her head. "The money isn't what matters."

Luke nodded. "She's right. It's about playing music, connecting with people! Making a difference in their day! I just wish I had my guitar." He whipped around as a guitar appeared in his hands.

"Whoa," Odette breathed. "Rad."

"How did you do that?" Reggie wondered.

"I don't know," Luke replied. "I mean, I wished for it and then it came into my hands."

Reggie closed his eyes. "I wish I had a puppy. A hamster? Pizza?!"

Odette patted Reggie's shoulder sympathetically. "Maybe next time, Reg."

Luke glanced between them. "Hey, I think I know something that will cheer you up!" He began strumming.

Alex tapped his chest to a beat. "Come on, Reginald! Come on, Odette!"