6

[Flying Solo]

"Where did the rest of your band go?" a boy asked.

"Wait, were those holograms?" a girl in a purple wig questioned.

"Yes!" Julie said, pointing at the girl. "Yes, they were holograms. I plugged them into the ceiling projector before the show. I'd explain it, but it involves algorithms and science stuff." Everyone clapped.

"That's wild," Luke said. "They could see us when we were playing but not when the music ended."

Odette nodded. "Weird, but really, really cool."

"We should double check," Reggie decided as he patted Luke on the chest before going to the stairs and circling his hips. "Yeah, I don't -- I don't think they could see us!"

Odette jumped up and down and shook her head. "Nope, they can't. That's so weird!"

"I wish I couldn't see you two," Alex muttered.

Odette swatted his chest. "Rude."

The principal told the students to leave and Reggie walked up to Odette and smiled. "At least we can see each other."

Odette smiled. "At least there's that."

Julie said to the music teacher, "Mrs. Harrison, I am so sorry for not asking for permission. I just wanted to show you we belong here."

"As amazing as that was your spot has already been filled by another student," Mrs. Harrison said.

They watched as a boy dragged a cello too big for him down the stairs.

"Come on, that thing is way too big for him!" Julie protested.

"He'll grow into it. I wish that I could help you, but my hands are tied."

Principal Lessa walked up to the two. "Mine aren't, and as much as I didn't approve of this little stunt that you pulled, I will not go down in history as the principal who kicked Julie Molina out of the music program."

Julie chuckled and exclaimed, "Thank you!"

"But... when you win your first Grammy, I want to be thanked."

"Definitely."

"Congratulations! Oh! Aw!" Mrs. Harrison exclaimed, hugging the teenager. "Welcome back." She chuckled, as did Julie.

Julie ran back to her best friend.

"Wow, you did it," Flynn said in a blunt tone.

Julie smiled and replied, "Thanks to you."

Flynn didn't return her smile and instead asked, "When did you start playing with a hologram band?"

"It was just one song. Yeah, we're not a band. They are, we aren't."

"Why have you been keeping those cute boys and that girl a secret?" Flynn wondered.

"There's a reason for that. It's really crazy."

"I'm all about crazy. Let's hear it."

"Uh, they're from, um, they're from Sweden. Turns out they're not only great at making meatballs, but also great at making music. Anyway, who's excited that I'm back in the music program?" She did jazz hands.

Flynn frowned. "Are you lying to me?"

Julie looked at the ground and said, "Yeah. Yeah I am."

"Since when do we lie to each other?"