ii.

𝗶𝗶.

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

Evangeline wakes to an unfamiliar room and with an even more unfamiliar pain in her head. She looks around the small enclosed space and realizes that she is in a wood cabin of some sort. As her senses start to open back up she hears rustling in another room. She sits up and walks to the opening in the wall.

"This bread is so stale!" A man's voice exclaims, banging down on a table.

"I'll just give them some soup. They should be coming round soon." Another voice notes.

"Well, I don't think I hit them hard enough." The first voice says groggily.

"Nikabrik, they are just children." The man replies to the first man, Nikabrik.

"They are Telmarines', not some lost puppy!" Nikabrik gives out.

Evangeline notices a presence behind her and looks to see her cousin, Caspian, also awake from his injury and listening in on the two men's conversation.

"Wha-"

"Shush!" Evangeline throws her hand over her cousin's mouth, earning a wide-eyed stare from Caspian.

The two lean forwards to look at what they are up against.

"You said you'd get rid of them!" Nikabrik reminds the first man.

"No, I said I'd take care of them." The second man comes into view of the two teens, only it's not a man, it's a badger.

The duo gasps and turns with their backs firmly against the walls. Badgers can't talk, nor do they. No creature does. Evangeline can see the cogs in Caspians' mind turning, and she doesn't like that. It would have to be a trick, but also what badger walks on its hind legs, like a human.

"We can't kill them now, I just bandaged their heads. It would be like murdering guests." The badger admits.

"Oh! And how do you think his friends are treating their guest?" Nikabrik queries.

"Trumpkin knew what he was doing. It's not the children's fault." The badger answers.

With that Caspian pushes past Evangeline and runs into the dining room like room.

"Caspian!" Evangeline yells trying to grab him but missing.

The two creatures are thrown off guard, Nikabrik throwing a chair in the way of Caspian's path. Nikabrik pulls out his sword and Caspian grabs a fire poker.

"Hey! Hey! Stop! Stop!" The badger exclaims.

"Caspian! Stop!" Evangeline shouts from the hole in the wall.

The two men begin to fight as the badger yells his protests.

"I told you we should've killed them when we had the chance." Nikabrik looks at the badger.