Chapter 26: I need you to breathe.

CHAPTER 26

Voices chattered all around her but she couldn't distinguish what they were saying. It was a blur of conversations as she passed by numerous people, many dressed in all black, armed with guns and bulletproof vests. She was surrounded, many of the men or women in some sort of formation around her as she was carried by the mysterious man. He'd saved her. He reached out to her. He got her out of there. And she was eternally indebted to him.

She didn't dare open her eyes, not afraid of seeing, no, but rather focusing on the steady heartbeat of the man carrying her. Thud, thud, thud. It was constant, unwavering, calming and strong. His pulsating heart comforted her. She drowned out the voices of the people rushing around her, the flurry of footsteps and commands being made. Clutching the man's vest tighter, she drew herself closer to him, seeking more warmth, security, anything. She felt him tighten his grip on her, readjusting how he held her. She put all her concentration, or whatever was left of it, on his heartbeat once more, the unchanging sound easing her once more.

It was the last thing she heard before her consciousness drifted away.

---

If there was one thing you would need to know about Angela, it's that she hated the smell of a hospital. The antiseptics and alcohol wafting through the air, an ever present and undeniably identifiable scent of the building. It was stagnant, no form of air or wind rushing in to refresh or replace the horridly clean stench. The olfactory memory was never a pleasant one.

Another you must know is that Angela hated waking up in a hospital. Which is why she was slightly surprised as she groaned, eyes cracking open to recover her vision. The light stung, her immediate reaction was to shy away, shutting her eyes. As she tried once more, the rest of the room came into focus. She was confused.

The room was furnished beautifully, with a beige sofa right by the window, a full walnut wood office table and matching chair, beautiful long draping curtains that went well with the overall theme of the room. She could see a door just a distance away, presumably the toilet. Overall, it looked like she was in a hotel room. If not for the undisputable hospital bed she was laying on, Angela would've thought she was in a Ritz Carlton.

"You're awake," the voice carried so much relief, soft and hesitant.

Angela tilted her head to meet the only other occupant in the room. With much effort, she cracked a smile, which may have looked more like just a display of teeth.

"Can't kill me that easily, Marcus," She croaked, hackling as soon as the words left her lips.

The man in question rushed to bring her a glass of water, thoughtfully slipping a straw in to help her drink. Angela gulped selfishly. She didn't realise how insanely thirsty she was until the fluid coated her entire mouth, rejuvenating her.

"Woah, mistress, please slow down, you're gonna choke," Marcus tried bringing the glass further away, but Angela had her fill, sighing as she leaned back. Marcus put her glass down on the bedside table, the decorative flowers now catching Angela's attention. Jasmine. Her favourite. Her gaze softened.

It was only now did she manage to recognise the faint scent of jasmine wafting through the air. Angela didn't care much for its meaning, the only thing hooking her to the fragrance being the memories she had in her happy place, in the greenhouse. She often hid from the butlers and helpers with the gardener, and he taught her about the different flowers in a place tucked away from the usual path of the enormous greenhouse. He had eventually left the mansion due to his old age but Angela could never forget his kind soul. He had every right to tell on her, but he didn't, instead choosing to let her little feet carry her all around the greenhouse, sheltering her from the rest of the mansion employees.