Leaving the past in the past

"Move in with me."

"I thought I was doing that already?" He sits up from his chair, tucking it under the table. (when I wrote this it autocorrected tucking to fucking like damn the chair dream now?)

"No, I mean, right now."

"What...?" He stares at me blankly.

"Pack your stuff and come live with me, George. You're not happy here. I want you to be happy, and if being in my home makes that true then I'll do anything to make it happen."

"I'll ask my Mum-"

"Don't ask her, tell her. If you ask, she'll obviously say no." He smiles the widest smile I've ever seen. His hand meets mine and he starts slowly walking through the house. We stop by the livingroom door.

George's Mum is asleep on the couch, with the TV on in the background. Me and George exchange an evil look and quickly bolt up the stairs. Once we're in his room, he shuts the door quietly.

"I'll help you pack." He nods and drags a suitcase out from under his bed. He starts taking out some clothes from his closet and neatly folding them into the suitcase.

"There's no way all of my clothes will fit." He sighs and closes the suitcase which is full of clothes. There's still a lot left in the closet. And I thought my clothing collection was large...

"Do you have any bin bags? We can throw it in there and take it into my car like that." He nods then stands up, leaving the room and going downstairs. I walk up to his desk and start unplugging everything connected to his computer. He walks back in with bin bags and begins emptying his entire closet.

"I'm going to take this to the car." I motion to the bundle of electronics on the desk. I'll be able to take it in one trip since there isn't much to carry.

"Okay, I'm almost done with the clothes, so after that it will just be other random stuff I need to take." I smile and nod then head out of the door. My car unlocks with a click and I slide the electronics onto the backseat. I put the seatbelt over it so it doesn't slide around and break.

Once I'm back upstairs, George's closet is empty and there's four bin bags and a suitcase on the floor. "I've got everything now." He stands up and picks up two bin bags. I take the other two in one hand and the suitcase in my other hands, and we make our way to the car.

Once everything is in the car, George looks at me. "Thank you, by the way." The sun is long set now and the moonlight illuminates his face, making it glow. He looks angelic. Breathtaking.

"You don't need to thank me. I'm just doing what's right. I don't want you in a house that isn't safe for you." He takes a step towards me and hugs me. It feels different this time. I can feel the emotions he's trying to express, and the feeling attached to the hug. Comfort, warmth, safety.

We pull apart, leaving me feeling empty without George's touch, but I quickly brush the feeling away. "I need to go and tell her now." He looks nervous, so I take his hand in mine, squeezing it a few times.

"Do you want me to come with you?" He nods and smiles to himself. Even to an outsider it would be obvious that George is screaming with joy on the inside right now.

He starts walking back to the house, with me close behind, hand in hand. I bump into him as he stops at the door. "Whenever you're ready, George."

"I'm scared... She might try to hurt you... Or something..." His voice sounds so small. It's like I've been directly stabbed in the heart multiple times. I'd never met anyone who could make me feel so many strong emotions.

"She doesn't know where I live, we'll be safe. And if she finds us, don't worry, I'll make sure we're both safe." I hug him one last time then we step through the door. The floor creaks beneath us, and the TV can still be heard playing as we near the livingroom, where his Mum is laying on the couch.

George shakes her a few times until she finally wakes up. Her eyes land on George first, then me, and she instantly sits up. "I told you to leave my house."

"He's leaving, Mum, and I am too." George replies and I stay quiet, knowing this is something that they should talk out themselves. I'd only get involved if George was in danger.

"Don't be ridiculous, you're not going anywhere." She stands up and crosses her arms, tapping her foot on the floor in frustration.

"I'm an adult, and I can make my own decisions. I'm moving out." George's confidence is... Admirable. He's scared, but he manages to hide it to well.

"And don't think I'll be coming back any time either." I see the anger growing in George's Mum. Her arms drop to her sides and I can see her hands balling up into fists, knuckled basically white from the force.

I put my hand around George's waist and pull him back before she can try anything. "We should go." I say quietly enough for only him to hear. He nods lightly and we make our way out of the room.

"Oh, and by the way," He turns around when we reach the door frame, "don't call me your son ever again."