Seventeen

We walked through the woods until we reached the end. We stared out in the open, debating where to go.

The sun started to set as we reached the road. Chubs examined the map as we all followed. We soon reached a set of train tracks.

"I don't know, Chubs," I said as we walked on the tracks. "It doesn't feel right."

Before he had a chance to respond, the wail of a truck's horn was heard, and we all jumped. Ruby dropped Zu's hand as we all covered our ears. Liam reached over and gently pried my hands from my ears. "Come on, let's keep moving."

We followed his steps throughout the tracks. Suddenly, Chubs stopped and looked at the bottom of the track. He called us over.

"Check it out,  guys."

We went over to where he was to see what he was looking at. We were shocked at what we found. On the ground, written out with whatever it was covered with, spelled out E-D-O.

"E-D-O," Liam smiled. "All right, let's go!"

Suddenly, gunshots were heard. We quickly ducked our heads to avoid the bullets. I pulled Zu down to the ground, comforting her shaking form while widening my eyes. Chubs had pulled Ruby down next to us, while Liam turned around in shock. Figures in black came pouring out from beside us. Every inch was covered in black, from the ski masks pulled over their faces to their black shoes. There were at least two dozen of them, moving in unison, with practiced ease. And they were walking towards us.

I stood up and spread my arms in front of the group, as I narrowed my eyes at them.

"Stop! Stay on your knees!" One person yelled, but I didn't listen. My eyes lit up as a warning, and they stopped. Liam stood up and gently pulled me towards him. One kid must have recognized him because he walked closer. With my eyes still glowing, I blocked them away.

"Hold on," the kid said, staring at us. "Liam Stewart?"

That caused Liam to look at him, realizing who he was. "Mike?"

"Everybody stand down," Mike told the others. They did as they were told and lowered their weapons.

"Darlin', I'm fine. Everyone's okay." Liam whispered into my ears.

I lowered my arm as my pupils returned to their original color. He pulled me closer into his arms.

"Sorry, hon," I whispered, and he kissed my cheeks.

"Lee, man, I'm so sorry. I never thought -" Mike choked up. Liam let go of me to clap him on the back. "I can't believe you made it out. What the hell are you doing here?"

Liam's voice was tight. "I thought you were with Josh?"

"I was, but I got through the fields." He added, "Thanks to you."

Mike looked at us, then back at Liam, his expression changing as if asking to be introduced.

"By the way, this is Lily." He said, his arms still around me.

"Lily? You're a..."

"Don't mention it," I interrupted, not exactly liking being the center of attention. Liam must have noticed because he quickly changed the topic.

"Wait, are you looking for..."

Mike smiled brightly. "You found it," He told us with a laugh. "Welcome home."

I looked at Liam in disbelief. When the initial shock wore off, I let out a breath of relief, moving to embrace Ruby and Zu. Chubs hugged Liam as the two moved towards us for a group hug.