Twenty-Six

"She'll be okay," Ruby said. "They'll take care of her. She should be with her family. Her real one."

I sighed as Liam shook his head.

"She should be with us," He said, his breath catching in his throat.

"Then maybe we should follow her."

The three of us turned back. Chubs was trailing behind us, his eyes hidden as the drooping sunlight caught his glasses.

"You know we can't," Liam said. "Not yet."

"Why not?" Chubs asked as he went towards us, his voice losing its calm.

I glanced around as I saw some kids look at us. Ruby must have noticed, too, because we both took the two away from the main path.

"Why not?" Chubs repeated. "Clearly we aren't going to get the help we need to track down our parents. It'd be better for us to just go now before anyone misses us. We could still catch up with her."

"And do what?" Liam asked. He ran a frustrated hand through his already messed-up hair. "Wander around until we just so happen to stumble on them? Hope that we don't get our asses caught and thrown back into camp? Chubs, it's safe here. This is the place we're supposed to be- we can do so much good from here."

I widened my eyes when I realized what happened. Chub's nostrils flared and his lips twisted with anger. Quickly, I stepped between them before anything else can happen.

"Hey! Stop, you both have valid points. Look, I get you're all upset about Zu leaving. So am I. But fighting is not going to change anything. So, please, guys." I whispered the last part in a soft voice.

Chubs stormed away heading back in the direction of the cabin. Ruby turned when she heard Chubs storm away behind her. Liam tried to take another step forward but I pulled him back. He let out a frustrated sigh, then turned his heel in the opposite direction.

Ruby turned to me with a knowing look.

"You get Liam. I'll find Chubs," she simply said. I nodded, and we both headed off.

********

I found Liam in the woods, leaning on a tree. He turned when he heard my footsteps. I slowly walked towards him, then wrapped my arms around his waist.

Meanwhile, Ruby walked towards the lake. She saw Chubs, watching the sky, and sat down next to him.

"Hey," She greeted.

He briefly turned to her, then returned his gaze to the sky.

"Hey." He replied.

Without saying a word, Ruby put a hand on his shoulder as silent tears streamed down his cheeks.

********

"Do you think he's okay?" Liam asked, causing me to look up.

"Well, Ruby's with him right now. But I think we should probably go check." I said.

When we arrived, we saw Chubs and Ruby sitting next to each other. They turned when we walked closer, and we sat down next to them. I could see the apology written on both of their faces, as well as the clear emotion of guilt.

"It's over," Chubs said as Liam and I sat next to him. "It's all over."

And we didn't move for a long time.