Twenty-Two

Life was tranquil for almost a month, and we all settle into life at the camp. I watched as everyone grow free of the camp, or at least, freer than before.

Liam and I seemed content with our roles, patrolling the perimeter of the land, keeping everyone safe. Zu is happy with kids her own age, learning and playing and growing. Ruby kept working with Clancy. Chubs is the one who seemed most discontent, so, when I'm not on my shift, I take him to the lake, where we stare peacefully at the open waters.

"Where did you go, Lily?" Liam asked tiredly as I returned to the cabin. It was our day off, and I had gotten back from watching the sunrise.

"Lake," I answered, climbing on the bed and wrapping my arm around him.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Next time we're off, we should go sometime," I suggested, and he hummed in response.

********

The next day, I walked up to Clancy's office, but I stopped when I heard Ruby talking to him. I didn't want to be rude and listen in on their conversation, but I couldn't help it. Clancy seems really suspicious.

"...Let me in. You can't hurt me," Clancy was saying, and I rolled my eyes.

Inside the office, Ruby held onto his hand, showing him what she never told anyone. She showed him her birthday. When she slept with her parents, when she held their hands, when she erased herself. Ever since then, she couldn't get past it. She can't forget that day.

She pulled out of his head, and the first thing he said was, "You erased yourself."

I stood there, frozen, not moving from my spot. When I heard footsteps making their way to the building, I turned around and saw Liam. He raised a confused brow at my expression, but I motioned him over and signaled him to be quiet. He did what he was told and went to stand next to me. We then leaned closer to the door to hear Ruby and Clancy a bit better.

"I didn't want them to worry about me. And so, I guess I just... I took away me. I was just a little kid. I had no clue what I was doing. I wish I could fix it." Tears streamed down her face as Clancy looked at her in understanding.

"You have a gift. Beyond mine. I don't know how to do what you've done, let alone reverse it. But we'll figure it out. Together."

Liam and I looked at each other, before focusing our attention back on Clancy. Ruby started to laugh a little as she wiped her tears. Clancy smiled at her response.

"What?"

"I've just never met someone like you. Someone like me."

Liam looked down and quietly walked away. I quickly glanced back at the door, then followed him.

********

"You alright, hon?" I asked as we walked back to the tent. I got on my bunk as Liam was standing next to me, both of us processing what we've just heard. He was about to respond when we heard someone greet Ruby.

"Hey," She told us awkwardly, noticing our expressions. Liam glanced at her briefly before diverting his gaze.

"How was it?" He decided to ask.

"Um, intense." She chuckled.

"You two are getting pretty close," I noted.

She gave me a look before responding, "What does that mean?"

"Why couldn't you tell us the truth? You're afraid to use your powers. I am, too! What, you think only an Orange can understand and not a Red? We both know what happens to people like us."

"But Clancy said-"

"No, do not even say his name in front of me. I'm so sick of Clancy, this, Clancy, that. Look, I'm happy for you, I really am, but you can't ignore other people's feelings because they're not the same color, or have different experiences! You're lucky enough that someone else in here is an Orange. I don't know where all of the Reds are! So yeah, glad to know someone can help you."

"You're not an Orange. We're not the same."

Liam didn't take that personally, but I did. I scoffed, before staring at her with an irritated look.

"Thanks for telling me that basically all those times we had with Betty was a lie," I said, before walking to the opening of the tent. I turned around. "Have fun with Clancy, or the Slip Kid, or the Slop Kid, whatever you want to call him."

With that, I stormed out of the tent. Liam huffed, before turning to Ruby.

"Hey, it's not really your fault. Look, she's just stressed. She never really talked about her feelings with us, so..."

He trailed off, before clearing his throat.

"We're still that small, medieval family, Ruby Daly. Always remember that."

Then, he walked out of the tent.