Thirty-One

Ruby and Lily fell face-down away from the crash. Lily grew limp as Ruby helped her up.

"Ruby! Lily!" Chubs yelled when he saw the helicopter burst into flames.

Ruby wrapped her arms around Lily as she tried to run towards him. She ran towards the exit, and Chubs ran behind her. They weren't fast enough because as soon as they arrived, the flames grazed Chubs. He grunted in pain but didn't stop running.

"I've got you," Ruby said to both of them as they arrived at the lake. She gently pushed Lily against one of the trees.

"Where's Liam?" He managed to ask.

"I don't know," She responded.

"Is she alright?" He asked, motioning towards Lily.

"She will be. Come on, we need to get out of here." Ruby said as she went to go help the two.

He shook his head. "No. Go. Take Lily and save yourselves."

"We have to get you help!" Ruby told him.

"It's not happening," he said, shaking his head. He grunted as he fell.

Ruby looked at the two, her brain racking. Suddenly, she went to her pocket and pulled out a small necklace given to her by the League.

"What are you doing? What is that?" Chubs asked.

He saw the look on her face and widened his eyes.

"The League? Ruby, no."

"They can help," She answered before turning to Lily. "She'll be okay."

When Chubs started leaning, Ruby helped him up. Chubs looked at Ruby as she pressed on the necklace, causing it to activate.

********

It was early the next day when Ruby woke up. She looked at the two, leaning against each other.

"Chubs?" She said, lightly shaking him. "Come on, Chubs."

He woke up with a start when he heard their names being called. The two of them looked at each other, then snapped their heads in the direction of the noise.

As if on cue, Liam bolted through the woods. "Lily! Ruby! Chubs!"

Ruby turned towards him as he ran to the group. He slowed down when he saw Lily.

"Lily..." He ran and knelt in front of her, resting her against a tree. Then, he turned to Ruby. "Is she alright?"

"Liam, you have to get out of here right now," Ruby told him when she remembered something.

"Oh, Jesus." He whispered when he saw Chubs's condition as well.

"Liam, they need a hospital," Ruby told him.

"Yeah, we'll find one, a vet, somebody. Come on." He motioned her to stand.

"Liam, we can't fix this," She said, starting to cry.

He looked at her before looking at Chubs and Lily. Then, he looked back at her. He sighed as he got on his knee.

"I called someone who can," She choked out.

He looked at her and widened his eyes, hoping she was lying. He stood up.

"The League? No, Ruby."

"The enemy of my enemy-" Ruby was cut off.

"You don't know what they're like," Liam told her.

"You have to get out of here. The League is coming, and they don't trust you. They won't take you back."

He looked at her in disbelief. They were quiet for some time before Liam spoke up.

"I'm staying."

"Please, Liam, you have to go," Ruby told him.

"No. I'm not leaving. We're family." He said firmly.

Ruby stared at him and nodded. She went back to leaning against the tree. Liam walked over to Chubs and Lily.

And then they waited.