Chapter 2: Friend or food?

Kars didn't need validation like Waamu. He didn't need to be overly aggressive like Esidisi.

But.

He liked how you grinned when he pushed someone into traffic.

"Stop smiling like that." Iida demanded. "You're teaching him the wrong things."

Your expression turned slightly sheepish, the smile still held.

"I did say I'd punch him if he continued. It's not my fault that our new best friend doesn't understand English and thus," you added with a flourish. "Saw that I was uncomfortable and dove into save me."

"That was my engineering partner!"

"He's a perv!"

Kars was prideful, however. That seemed to be his Achilles heel.

A dark sedan stopped beside them. The black window rolled down. Slowly.

"Have you guys seen any sort of weird... things?" The passenger asked.

"No, I cant say that I have, Sir."

"What about your friend?" The driver tried. His eyes analyzed the alien.

"He's an actor for my short film. We're testing out the outfit."

"Short film?"

The driver whispered something to his passenger. They looked at each other for a moment.

"Ah. Uh. Sorry for bothering you. Just call this number if you do see anything."

"What number do I call for a date?" You winked.

The driver sped of while the passenger was trying to tell you his number.

"I'm so fucking glad I'm an art student. Fuck."

"I cant believe you were trying to get that guys number." Iida said. "They were looking for him."

You shrugged, remarking that art students can get away with anything.

"You're a scriptwriter."

"Exactly. I can create anything."

Iida led the way once more. Kars watched the both of you, a light frown on his face. Why did you lie? Why did Iida allow the lie?

"We should also get him some clothes." You said. "The island's populace will drop dramatically if he continues like this."

"Why?"

"Nosebleeds."

This definitely must be a different earth. Its inhabitants even more fragile than his original home to die of something so trivial. He didnt understand how something as simple as an outfit could deal such damage.

He couldn't ask the bespectacled man. Not now.

"You think he could fly is back to campus?"

"No, Y/N. Those MIBs are around."

Ah, they must be bad men.

"But if we go into an alleyway..."

Iida bumped his shoulder into yours. You returned the gesture, and remarked that you weren't stupid.

"I dont like walking around aimlessly, human."

"We're making a pit stop." Iida said politely. "We still have classes this afternoon- education- I uh. Do you know what school is?"

Maybe he should find new humans.

-------

Your writing lecturer was an unusual old man, Kars observed.