I. MOONY, TINY AND THE T-DUDE

I.  MOONY, TINY AND THE T-DUDE
——————

Luna had never done much for her birthday, not after her parents and brother passed, and her fifteenth wasn't going to be different. Not many spared her a second glance at the shelter and at school she liked flying under the radar. People didn't usually talk to her; it was known that she ran her mouth quickly and spewed out rude comments. To be fair, she wouldn't regret them later because they were most definitely true, but it didn't help her making friends.

She spent her days reading the books her brother Derek brought home from his trips abroad, again and again immersing herself in fairytales about people with the ability to control the elements.

Luna, of course, knew they weren't really fairytales, but books with forgotten history, her history. How Derek had found them, along with ancient artifacts, remained a mystery to her. A mystery she would never have a chance to solve, not since her brother never came back from his last trip.

All of Derek's presents were kept in a small hut she had set up in a clearing in the forest behind the shelter, just to escape her daily chores from time to time. Through the clearing ran a trickling stream of water and with the cover of vegetation, it was the perfect place to train.

Luna Carter was magic. A fact she discovered at a young age, when she broke her own fall by creating a gush of wind from her bare hands. A week later, just barely having recovered from the shock of all her brother's books being true, she had saved her glass of water by simply holding out her hand and stopping the water mid-air.

For years, she had trained in the art of air- and water bending and studied every bit of information she could get her hands on but she soon realized that in a world like this, she would need a lot more than just raw power.

With the little bit of money she had saved up, Luna had bought cheap twin-daggers and went to work on the trees surrounding her small hut. Sometimes she imagined the face of the woman that ran the orphanage, when she threw her dagger at the tree, or the face of a dirty politician, but mostly she would image the driver who was drunk behind the wheel the night her parents were killed. Luna didn't know their face, but the thought alone was cathartic enough.

Most of Luna's days were spent at either the local library or her school; Brooklyn High. She was smart, genius even, but nobody had ever cared enough to do anything with it, herself included. She kept to herself, studying subjects she found interesting and honing skills far above her age-level. If she wanted, she was sure she could skip a few grades and get into a good college, but she liked being the smartest person in the room.

Even despite being smart, she was not the greatest student in the world, with a track record of coming in late to class and getting into trouble when she decided to hack into her school's network.

Luna was a free spirit, not much caring for authority or adults telling her what to do. She ran her mouth in situations it was best to keep it shut and never stopped to deal with the consequences. Maybe that was why she was chosen to be the Avatar, a mythical being she had read about in her brother's books.

She had decided a long time ago to stop worrying about what might be and focus on the things in the present. Things which did not include saving the world. But sometimes the world has different ideas in mind.

• • •

The early spring sun peaked through the thin curtains and landed onto Luna's face. She groaned and rolled over, desperate to fall back asleep, but the orphanage had other plans. The floorboards from both upstairs and downstairs creaked horrendously, echoing throughout the entire house, and the loud chatter of children playing in the kitchen woke her up beyond the point of no-return.