III. CHILDREN OF THANOS

__________

Gliding through the air, Luna crossed the East River, continuing her way over Chinatown, lower Manhattan and Soho in record time. The pandemonium was coming from Greenwich Village and as she raced closer she could clearly see the alien space ship, hovering high above Washington Square Park, blocking the sun from reaching the ground in a large radius.

From high above, she perceived civilians screaming and running for their lives, rubble and debris flying through the air, crashing into already-ruined buildings. To her surprise, the center of most chaos was on Bleecker Street, the same street the address Thor had received was on.

Luna swooped down, waving her hands to deflect shards of metal and punching rubble out of the air. The wind from the space ship's engine blew through the street, forcing her to make a crash landing. Then, with a screech, the ship stilled. Still on high-alert, she sprinting through the streets, helping people crushed by debris, until she saw a conspicuous man in a red cape, flanked by three other men.

"Tony!" she called out, running to him. She spotted the man next to him, someone she hadn't seen in a very long time, "Bruce?"

"Luna?" Bruce replied, embracing her quickly.

"Oh my god—where have you been? What's happening?"

"Long story, I was on this planet with Thor and Loki and this scary lady—"

"Okay," Tony pulled them away from each other. "We don't have time for this. Carter, glad to have you here. Pretty sure this is Thanos' doing."

She stilled, her insides growing cold. "What did you say?"

"I take it you've heard of him?"

"The Mad Titan," she confirmed. "Loki told me about him. He has an infinity stone."

"Two," Bruce said. "He has two, now. Loki took the Tesseract from Asgard's vault before Ragnarök destroyed the planet. Thanos came looking for it."

Luna stumbled in her place, her heart beating in her ears. "The Tesseract's been an infinity stone this whole time? What about Thor and Loki? Where are they?"

Bruce shook his head silently. "Loki... Thanos snapped his neck, he didn't stand a chance. Thor was unconscious when Heimdall sent me back to Earth."

"If it's true that Thanos now has two... then he'll be coming for the mind stone—" in a split second, Luna had pulled her burner out of her pocket and put in Wanda's phone number, shooting her a warning text that she prayed to any god who would listen went through.

She had promised to her that they would see each other again and she was not planning on breaking that promise any time soon. When she put her burner back in her jacket's pocket, her fingers brushed against a folded piece of paper and a small box. She pushed the sudden feelings of anticipation and hope away.

"Wanda and Pietro are in Edinburg, as was I before I left for Wakanda two weeks ago. I'd bet that's where Vision would be."

"Excuse me," the lean-muscled man with the cape interrupted. Behind him followed a heavy-set man, dressed in similar robes. "But we are currently under alien attack, so if we could focus up that would be appreciated."

"Sorry, who are you and where do I buy tickets for your next show?"

"Doctor Stephen Strange, this is my associate Wong—"

A bright blue beam, straight from an eighties alien movie, plunged to the concrete street. When it seceded, two forms stood in its place. One was large, almost eight feet tall, and carried bulky armor over his already massive and broad build.

The other was slender, only reaching the other's shoulders, dressed in sleek robes, his white hair slicked back. His face looked particularly alien; grey and lifeless with an aquatic countenance. It seemed like the bigger one was the muscle; in his right hand swung a large pickaxe-like weapon.

"Hear me and rejoice," the slender alien announced, his voice echoing between the buildings on both sides of the street.

Luna, Tony, Bruce, Dr. Strange and Wong sidled up next to each other, listening warily to the alien that had just invaded their planet. "This is what Thanos does," Luna whispered. "He goes to planets and wipes out half their population. We need to stop them."