I. AN OTHERWORLDY ROADTRIP

___________

Luna burped a burp so loud it was sure to be heard—if not felt—by the 34-year-old single mom of three next door who was desperately trying to get her youngest (his name was Kevin. He was four-months-old.) to stop crying and go to sleep.

"Okay—but no—seriously!" Luna said, holding a hand to her mouth to ensure nothing else would escape her stomach. "If you really—like, deeply and painstakingly—thought about it... Like, people always debate if a hotdog is a sandwich or not, right? They're all wrong. It's obviously a taco. They're all wrong and I'm right," she concluded and took another sip from her mixed vodka drink. "That's it."

"Having just been explained what a taco and a hotdog are in excruciating detail; no," Pietro said, topping off his drink that was almost only vodka, no mixer. He was faring a lot better than Luna, with a whole bottle gone between the three of them.

"Tacos have a shell," Wanda said, her head on Luna's lap, enjoying the feeling of gentle fingers playing with her hair. "They sound horrible to eat."

"Soft shells exist!" Luna protested. "They're good! Imma order them tomorrow—you think they have taco-take-out in Edinburgh?" she looked sadly out the window, to the cloudy night. "I hope they do..."

"Enough of this!" Pietro exclaimed, sitting up and pointing an aggressive finger at Luna. "Spider-Man," he said. "Who is he?"

A string of red magic slapped his hand out of the air. "Point that finger at my girlfriend again and you lose it."

With a smile, Luna took Wanda's face and leaned down to plant a kiss on her mouth, stopping when Pietro began making hurl-noises. "My hero," she said. "Look, I can't tell you! He wants to stay behind that mask a little longer and I certainly ain't the person who's gonna stop him."

"Fine, keep your secrets," he replied and stood up. "I'm going to break open the last bottle."

"Oh, god, please..." Luna whined and she felt sick to her stomach. "I actually need to go lie down, but someone needs to go shopping tomorrow..." She lifted Wanda's head from her thighs and stood up, albeit a little wobbly.

"You go do it, Moony," Pietro said.

"Oh, I'm sorry, but some of us have an actual job to be at, you spoiled little speed-rat. That's a reference to the famous 'street-rat' nickname this horrible dude Aladdin has, but you wouldn't get it," Luna fired back. "Not you, of course, dear," she said quickly to Wanda.

"Jesus, fine," Pietro said quickly. "I'll go do groceries."

"Thank you!" Luna exclaimed and moved into her bedroom, passing out, but not before making a mental note to never play a drinking game with two Sokovians ever again.

Things had been calm for the past year. The twins and her had acclimated to the Scottish environment and for as far as they knew, nobody suspected that they were fugitives of the UN. A few compromises had to be made for this to be possible; no public displays of powers and at least try to disguise your appearance.

Pietro had shaved his beard but refused to dye his hair like Luna had. Her brown hair was now a light blonde (with a bit of brown showing at her roots, she was too lazy to keep up with it). Wanda's hair had only grown more red, but she had stopped wearing exclusively red colors. It was the best they could do. Besides, things were good. Which was why it was hard for Luna to break the news that she had to leave for a while.

The TV had been turned on, only to provide some background noise as Wanda laid cuddled up to Luna's side on the couch. Some weird sitcom was playing and while Wanda adored them, Luna found them cringe and boring.

However, Luna felt too relaxed to change the channel; Wanda had closed her eyes a little while ago and not opened them since, only twitching slightly every couple of minutes. Luna wondered what she was dreaming about. It had to be a good dream, Wanda's mouth twitched up into soft smiles every now and then. With a careful touch, Luna brushed a strand of hair from her face. She truly was the pinnacle of beauty. Sharp features, fair skin and alluring eyes.