Preface

The Kingdom of Acadia is a fictional country I created based on the Colony of Acadia that existed between 1604 and 1713. After the British won Queen Anne's War, which was a theatre of the War of Spanish Succession, they gained control of the Colony of Acadia. The Acadians were then deported by the British Empire in 1755.

The Kingdom of Acadia is a fictional island with a land mass about the size of Iceland set 100 kilometers off the coast of Canada in between Saint-Pierre and Miquelon and Cape Breton Island. It has a population of around 11 million people.

I created the Kingdom of Acadia as a way to give my ancestors and the other strong, resilient Acadians a better ending. One where they were again in control of their own destiny, and where their culture would always remain part of the world.

This fictional country is a Utopian society. It is what I believe the world should look like today. A country where multiculturalism, multi-religions, and the LGBTQIA+ community is embraced. One where every single citizen feels loved and accepted by society.

I have always been supportive of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, especially since I am a Canadian, but I have also always believed that a Constitutional Monarchy is one of the best forms of government to exist, especially when the leader is a woman. While watching the Netflix tv-series, The Crown, I began to wonder what difficulties the late Queen would face in the twenty-first century. That was where the idea for this story came from.

What difficulties would a young Heir Apparent face in the twenty-first century? What problems would a new monarch face as the first openly Lesbian Queen? How would the world react when a Christian Queen does not use her religion to guide the rule of her country? Would other Christians support her? Or would they criticize her for it, and state that she should use her faith as a guiding principle for an entire country? How would someone with a mental illness handle the stress of this career? These are some of the things Marie has to face.

Marie is kind, loyal, honest, intelligent, and brave. Though she is partially based on myself, she is far better as she does things I only wish I could be strong enough to do.