Chapter Seven

The Referendum was held on our national holiday, the fifteenth of August which was the celebration of the signing of our Constitution. My family, Deschamps, and I all waited with batted breath outside Parliament along with hundreds of other Acadians.

That evening, the Prime Minister came outside, stood before the country and announced. "With a popular vote of 83%, the Acting Queen of Acadia, Marie the Second, has been chosen for the throne!"

------

I stood just outside the doors to Parliament one month later wearing my coronation mantle, the deep blue of Acadia, that sat on top an off white sleeveless ball gown that was embroidered with gold filigree and Acadian roses. When the music began, I stepped through the doors. My matching off white heels clicked along the marble floor. I reached the head of the room and took my place on the throne of Acadia. The Prime Minister and Sir Alistair McPherson, the head of the House of Lords, were officiating. They anointed me and crowned me the next Monarch of Acadia.

With shaking hands, I stood and began the Oath. Clearly, I stated in both English and French. "I, Marie Angélique Bernadette Victoire de Montcalm, promise to lead the people of Acadia in a respectable and honourable way. I promise to proudly represent our people, both at home and abroad as just, loyal, and kind people. I promise to place the needs of all my citizens before myself. I promise to rule with a kind heart, sharp mind, and gracious spirit. Before God above I vow this to you."

Those gathered called out. "Long Live Queen Marie the Second of Acadia!"

------

My anxiety was peaking as I sat before Parliament in all my regalia meer weeks after my coronation. Cameras were set up for the national broadcast of my first time opening Parliament's yearly session. My family, sans Gabrielle who was too young to attend, sat in the viewing above; Élise and Hélène with them.

I stood before the ministers, cleared my throat and began my speech. "Your Royal Highnesses, welcomed Mademoiselles, the Right Honourable Ministers of Parliament and all the people of Acadia.

It is the year 2018 that will mark my first year as Queen of Acadia. More than 200 years ago, our people, the Acadians of New France, were in-surged by the British Crown. After being able to return to their lands following the American War of Independence, they found their homes were gone; given to English settlers. As part of the reprimands of the American War, Acadians received an island in northeastern Canada as their own country. My family, the House of Montcalm, was chosen by the People to direct and represent our great land. My namesake, Queen Marie the First, as the second monarch of our family, had promised to place the needs, health, spirit, and well-being of Acadians above all else. That our country would not fall in the same way as past European monarchies. She also vowed to proudly represent the land of Acadia. Today, as my first day opening Parlimentry sessions, I repeat and recommissioning those vows, so that the people of Acadia know that I will always put them and my country above myself, and that I will endeavour to represent you all honourably and nobly."

Marie II of Acadia: Story Oneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें