Chapter One

The weather was chilly the day of my birth as summer had begun merging into fall. On the Saturday of the seventh of September 1996, the entire country of Acadia eagerly waited for news of the birth of the next Monarch. At 10:25 am Acadian Standard Time [ADST] (GMT -3), I was born. When my father held me for the first time, he declared that I would be an amazing Queen. I hope he was right.

After two weeks of speculation, my name was announced at my dedication service; a huge event that was televised from my home, the Château de Montcalm. As my family and country have always believed in freedom of religion, I was dedicated instead of baptized as a baby. In turn, we are not crowned in a church either, we are crowned in the House of Parliament. As both the Priest (who represented my Father's faith of Catholicism) and the Pastor (who represented my Mother's faith of Pentecostalism) dedicated me into the love of Jesus Christ, my name and title was forever known as, Her Royal Highness Marie Angélique Bernadette Victoire de Montcalm, Crown Princess of Acadia. 

Less than two years later, the country was again excited for the birth of a new Prince or Princess. My brother, His Royal Highness Étienne René Marcel Yvon de Montcalm, Prince of Acadia was born on the thirty-first of August 1998. His dedication service was also televised.

Being the eldest daughter of a monarch, especially in a country where the Crown would pass on to eldest living child regardless of gender, my entire life was planned out from birth. Not only was I required and entitled to get the same basic education as every person in my country, but I also had to study the inner-workings of my country's Constitutional Monarchy government. However, my family had struggles through the years keeping me on track.

When I was seven, and in a public school, my teacher suggested I see a Psychiatrist because I had been having issues in class. After discussing my issues and taking an IQ test, everyone was surprised to find out the results. I had Attention Deficit Disorder but I also had an IQ of 120. Needless to say, once I was medicated, I had no more issues in school. Due to my IQ, I was even able to skip a few grades. I was also sickly as a child, having been born with asthma and allergies.

Étienne and I were lucky enough to be around the same age as our parents' friends' children, Élise and Hélène. We grew as best friends, the four of us. We spent nearly every day together and even attended the same schools. Having a support system as a young child, especially with so much ahead, was a tremendous blessing. Even if I did not appreciate it properly.

Just after my tenth birthday, on the twenty-fifth of September 2006, my little sister was born. My mother's pregnancy had been quite the surprise to our family, not to mention our nation, because of the time that had passed since my brother's birth. My beautiful baby sister, with her raven coloured curls, was named at her televised dedication; Her Royal Highness Gabrielle Jeannette Geneviève Isabelle de Montcalm, Princess of Acadia.

My life seemed perfect, comfortable, and clear to me. I wanted for nothing, and was well loved by the People. My family was filled with love, joy, and happiness. So, it made no sense to me when, around my thirteenth birthday, I began feeling empty inside. I would spend most of my days hiding from the world in my rooms, even faking illness to cause my maid to declare me too ill for classes, and lay there motionless as I was pulled deeper under a wave of despair.

It got worse within weeks. By then my maid knew my intentions, and forced me to attend class. That was when my anger, the temper I was told came from my mother along with my red hair, broke through the depression and exploded through me. I did not care who was on the receiving end; nor did I care the destruction I caused. I was lost.