Chapter Eight

The day of my wedding, was bitter cold, but I could not feel it. It was as though nothing else in the world mattered except Hélène. I waited beneath the canopy beside my pastor and Rabbi Strauss after my Pépère had walked me down the aisle. When Monsieur Saint-Croix came walking with Hélène, I couldn't breath. The ceremony was complicated as we had two religions to go through, but when all was said and done, I sealed our vows with a kiss that was televised in front of all of Acadia.

------

"Your Majesty." Deschamps came rushing through the ball room at the wedding reception, bowing to me and Hélène. "Madame."

"What is it Deschamps?" I asked worried.

"The American President has just announced at his State of the Union address, that—" He stopped to take a breath. "He wants to annex Acadia!"

------

It had been weeks since the announcement, due to the fact that we had to have Hélène's coronation before we could leave Acadia, but as soon as we were able, she and I were on the first plane to America.

The trip to Washington DC was long, but all my jet lag was forgotten when I saw the magnificence of the White House. Hélène, Deschamps, and I were shown to the Oval Office where I was left there for a closed meeting with President Tannen.

"You see the issues don't you." The President had explained, in explicit detail, his reasons for wanting to annex my country. He spoke more with his hands then even I did. "It's imperative we annex Acadia."