Chapter Four

"They would never judge you." Élise promised as we stood outside the salon of Chateau de Montcalm preparing for me to come out to my parents. "They love you, unconditionally."

I nodded. "I know, I know. It is just difficult to say the words."

"Maybe you are not ready." Hélène rationalized. "You do not need to say anything until you are ready."

"No." I grabbed both her hands in mine. "I want the world to know I love you."

Kissing Hélène with every ounce of love I felt helped ground me. With a newfound confidence, I strode into the salon where the King and Queen of Acadia sat.

"Ah, Marie." My mother, Geneviève, said. "There you are. Deschamps said you wished to speak with us."

I cleared my throat, steeling myself before speaking. "I have some information about myself which may impact the country." No one in the room spoke, so I continued. "Papa, you told me sometime ago, that in order to be a good leader I must first know who I am. Do you still believe that?"

"Of course." He answered assuredly. "I could not rule if I had not discovered myself."

With a short nod, I continued. "I have been searching, and I believe I have finally come to terms with a number of things."

"For example?"

"Well, my faith for one." Their calm demeanour helped push back the crippling anxiety, and I found the same confidence I felt speaking to a crowd. "I do not necessarily feel connected to one form of Christianity alone. I enjoy many of the churches and chapels we have visited, and thus would prefer to be labeled only as a Christian with no denomination."

"Anything you wish, Mon Chou." My mother assured me.

"And..." I trailed off, the dam threatening to break. "I have fallen in love." My parents smiled to one another, waiting for me to continue. "With...Hélène." I took a deep breath. "I am a Lesbian." Released it and waited for something to happen.

"We know." My father said.

"You, you know?"

"Yes."

"We have known since you were little." My Maman laughed. "You used to tell us you were going to marry Hélène when you were old enough."

"You used to refer to her as, 'the Queen of Acadia'." My father added.

"So, is this acceptable?"

My mother crossed the room to hug me. "Of course. We love you no matter what."

"Marie, you know our country's history." My father began as he walked over to me and my mother. "We have had many monarchs who were LGBTQIA+ persons. The country will accept you as we do. And, since the law change, you are free to marry any woman you love, even if that woman is Hélène."

------

The five years following my reveal were spent preparing for my upcoming coronation. Having completed secondary school two years early, I was accepted into University at sixteen. My father had decided that when I finished University, having studied Political Science and having completed my Masters, he was going to abdicate as his father had done. He wished to see me become Queen and to advise me as long as he could.

It was June of 2017, one year before my scheduled coronation. My engagement to Hélène had been announced and the wedding date was set for September. I had moved out of the Château de Montcalm when Hélène and Élise began University; having moved in with Hélène to a flat in downtown Grande Pré that we shared with Élise and Étienne. At the insistence of Élise, the bedrooms had been soundproofed.

It was early morning on the thirtieth of June, when Deschamps, my father's private secretary arrived at the flat. Hélène had answered the bell, only to find a deeply saddened Deschamps, carrying four black outfits on his arms. Without him having to say anything, Hélène knew.

She shook me awake before sitting behind me, holding me and comforting me when she gave me the news. "His Majesty..." Hélène could barely get the words out. "Your father is dead."

------

After changing, Étienne and I, along with our partners, rushed to Château de Montcalm. There, in my father's chambers he laid, peaceful and content.

It was impossible. My father, the strongest man I ever knew, could not be dead. He was a King, the King of Acadia. He had done so much for our people. It was impossible.

Yet, it could not be denied, for there stood the Archbishop of Cathédrale Saint Joseph, administering the last rights to my Papa. Even I, in that moment had to accept it.

"Your Highness." Deschamps urged. "You must address the People; they need to know."

"Now?"

"Yes." He handed me a speech. "Your father had this written in the event of his death."

Deschamps led me out onto the small balcony that sat above the entrance to the Château. News crews had already arrived and were set up, while people lined the streets around the Château. How had they learned so quickly?

With shaking hands, I stepped up to the microphone, and with a clear voice I read aloud in both English and French— "To all citizens of Acadia, it is with the heaviest of hearts I deliver this news to all of you. At around 2:30 am, my father King Henri the Second, passed away. It was not expected, and no one had any reason to suspect this outcome. Upon my father's death, I am now your acting Queen. I shall now and forevermore be known as Queen Marie the Second of Acadia."