Chapter 2: The Chest

"Perfect," Echoed through the young girl's mind, while the boy in front of Emily waved a hand to her

"Hello?" The boy looked at Emily as if she'd lost her mind.

"Where did you get those?" She finally looked up at him, gesturing to the ring of keys.

"Really? That's the first thing you ask me?"

"Oh, well I'm sorry then! What did you want me to say? 'Hello there, I'm Emily Richards, and I want to know how much to buy those keys from you?' Is that it?" Emily sounded sarcastic. She didn't mean to be hurtful, but curiosity is what always got the better of her.

"Pleasure to meet ya' Richards. I'm Lucas Nolan." The boy shifted the rim of his hat, slightly grinning.

Emily simply sighed before continuing. "Mr. Nolan, how much for your set of keys?" She asked once more. She stood near the stand of carrots, also asking for a few to take home.

"Really? Why'd ya' want these old things?"

"Why did you want them in the first place?"

"Because why not?" He waved them in the air.

"Are boys seriously that bored and angered with their lives that they buy a set of keys to play with?" Emily folded her arms.

"Are girls seriously that bored and stuck up that they all want a set of keys for their house decorations."

Lucas seemed to continue grinning towards Emily. She didn't find it funny. Okay, maybe slightly. But this boy held the keys that could unlock the door.

"If ya' tell me why ya' want the keys then perhaps we could make a trade." Lucas placed one hand in his pocket, waiting on her response.

"Fine." She sighed. If she complied and played her cards nicely, she could have the door opened by tonight.

"I'll hand you the keys, if you let me see what you're unlocking."

"It's not that interesting," She scoffed slightly, trying to act as if she wasn't the biggest dork on the planet for wanting to open a locked door with, most likely, nothing inside.

"What is it?" Lucas seemed to press on the conversation. In a way, he was just as curious as Emily.

"A old door in my grammy's house."

"That's it?"

"Well, I don't know? What were you expecting?"

"Treasure." He shrugged. "If I agree to this trade off, there better be a large amount of money behind that door, and some of your grandma's food."

"Food?" Emily asked with a brow raised.

"Well, yeah? I get hungry." She sighed. Did she have much of a choice? She hardly even knew this boy, let alone what he could do. She did have a choice, but her curiosity is what would build more with each passing second. Lucas' did as well. Emily decided to first take this chance to look at the keys before agreeing to anything. For all she knew, none of them could work. "How many are there?" She reached out and inspected the ring, holding it in her palm, but it was still in Lucas' hand.