Chapter 6: Go On

"My lady? My lady?" Emily awoke to the sound of a familiar voice, although it was a struggle to simply open them to begin the day

"My lady? My lady?" Emily awoke to the sound of a familiar voice, although it was a struggle to simply open them to begin the day. The pillowcases and blankets in her bedroom were as soft as silk, colored with a light shade of violet. It was warm under the blankets, and the moment her head had hit the pillows the previous night, she was out like a light. The room in question was beautifully decorated in purple and gold. She thought that when she all woke up, this would all be a dream. She was glad it wasn't. Her eyes finally opened and peered up towards a familiar face.

"Oh, I'm so sorry to wake you, my Lady." It was Seraphina. She had a lovely floral dress on as she nervously fiddled with her strands of her short, curly blonde hair. Emily was glad to see her as she sat up in her bed, trying to fix the mess of her bed head. "No, no, Seraphina. You're alright, but, my Lady? Is that what everyone is calling me now?"

"Why it only seems appropriate if you are to stay here and be courted." Emily almost fell out of the bed. Her eyes widened and if she wasn't awake before, she was fully coherent now. "I'm sorry- Court?" She gasped out.

"Well, you see, I just saw you last night with King Edmund and, well," At the mention of his name, Seraphina turned red, only continuing to pull on wispy strands of hair. "Oh no. You're mistaken. Me and Edmund were just chatting."

"While holding hands?" Emily shook her head with a small laugh, unfolding the covers and sliding out of her bed on the opposite side. "Did you need something?" Emily asked as she wandered around her room for a minute to try and remember where her sets of clothes would be. Seraphina remained by the bed. "I wanted to see if you needed assistance in changing. I was asked to help prepare you for the day and then lead you to the gardens."

"Oh, no. I can get dressed on my own," Emily had managed to open a large wardrobe with dresses inside. She didn't take much consideration and instead chose the first thing that caught her eye. A long blue dress with white laced trimming. "But, my lady, I was told that my job was to assist you in whatever you needed while you remained here. Being courted."

"I'll stop you right there," She laid the dress on her bed, walking over to Seraphina in her white nightgown, looking her in the eyes. "Please do not call me a lady. I'm no where near royalty, or being courted by the Kings. I'm just a normal girl, and you can refer to me as Emily, or friend." Seraphina smiled with a nod, doing a small curtsy before walking over to the door. Her hooves clicking against the marble floor as she exited. Emily had returned the smile and began dressing herself in the dress she had chosen. She chuckled every time she thought of what Seraphina had said. She was simply trying to comfort Edmund last night, nothing serious at all. But what would have happened if she mentioned Peter? Would Seraphina have noticed the rise of heat and redness in her cheeks? That could never happen, of course. Peter would never court someone like her. Sure, he was formerly from Finchley, but here he was a King. She hardly knew these people, yet she placed some trust in them.

Recalling the names and stories from dinner, one particularly rose to the surface. Aslan. The name of a lion who had guided the Pevensie's, and later Prince Caspian, on their journey and battles through Narnia. The name wasn't familiar to her, yet it had removed the chills or nerves she had in her body. It may had been the temperature change from her warm bed to the coldness of her bedroom, but when Seraphina was present, a similar chill returned to her. The mere thought of Aslan pushed it away, and instead filled Emily with warmth.