Chapter 3: Unlocked

"Impossible

"Impossible..." Was all that could escape Emily's mouth when it wasn't full of salt water. She looked next to her to see Lucas busy coughing up the water that he swallowed. Emily was absolutely mesmerized.

"Where the hell are we?" Lucas said, finally.

"You think I would know that?" Emily chuckled, standing up and wringing out her wet hair on the sandy beach.

"I don't know! It's your creepy old house and the chest there that brought us here!"

"My grandmother's creepy old house." Emily corrected him. "You're wrong about the house, but I still don't know where we are or what happened."

Emily turned her attention to look up at the large castle on the hill. It was magnificent. Many towers and balconies provide views for anyone who were to live there. The sunlight that hit it's walls seemed to glisten. The vines grew upwards with various blooming wildflowers. It was peaceful, glorifying in beauty, and somehow, magical. Like the house that Emily had described almost exactly the same way. Magic was a key in all of this.

Her thoughts were broken when droplets of water hit Emily's face. She was already wet, yet still taking notice of it. "Hey!" She turned to Lucas who was laughing. His pants were rolled up to his knees, while he stood back in the water.

"You'll pay for that." Emily removed her red sweater, her white, button-upped shirt clinging to her body. She also took off her socks and shoes before chasing after Lucas into the water.

"Stop that!" Emily yelled, while they were both ankle deep in the water, splashing each other with their feet and hands. Amongst trying to shove each other within the water, their laughter only carried upwards towards the sky.

"Em?" She heard her name being called by Lucas, who had turned back to look at the castle, while Emily went back to shore to try and dry out her clothes.

"What? Did the poor baby Lucas get too wet?" She held her stomach to contain her laughter on the sandy shore, but Lucas shook his head. "No. But do you think we were alone?"

"Well, don't you think we would have been stopped by now if we were?"

"It seems that whoever lives in that castle isn't too happy to see us."

"And what makes you think that?" Emily placed her hands on her hips, while her friend trudged over to her. The next thing she knew, his hands were on her face, and snapping her neck to face the end of the beach near the castle. A large group of people, horses, or maybe people on horses. But something was riding towards the two at a fast pace.

"I think you're right, Lucas." Emily stared, absolutely dumbfounded. It was as if the personas were fused with the lower body of a horse. Reminding herself the same thing she thought when falling into the chest, was that whatever this was, was impossible.

"Let's get out of here!" Lucas now took her hand, both beginning to run the opposite direction, towards the end of the beach. Emily let go of Lucas' hand to run faster while the hot sand burned their bare feet. Of course, not knowing their way around, they soon came close to a large, hilled cliff. A dead end in their path.