Base Quest - Book 1: Chapter 25

AUTHOR'S NOTE: A little gift from me to you. Two updates in one day!! Aren't you guys so lucky? I worked extra hard today, so this could be up as a thank you to all my lovely readers! This chapter was really fun to write, especially the beginning, because I had some room to be creative. I would also like to thank the people reading my story. I know 51 views doesn't seem like a lot, but it means the world to me! Especially in the short time it's been posted! Vote, comment, tell your friends! Help me get noticed!! Enjoy...

.

"Good morning, Prodigies! Everybody ready for another exciting day? We are now four weeks away from midterms. For those of you worried you won't be able to score the required seventy-five percent to pass, I recommend seeing Lady Nissa in the Tutoring Center. That's it for today. Everyone work hard!" Dame Alina was annoyingly excited for midterms. Probably because she didn't have to do them. I rolled my eyes. As I exited the amphitheater and headed to my locker, I was thinking about last year's mid-terms. I passed in flying colors, second only to Wonderboy.

When I got to my locker, I licked the DNA strip—ugh, reekrod—must have been Elwin's choice...again. I swear, he picked the flavor of our lockers more than any other Mentor. They all probably thought it was funny to torture us innocent prodigies. Right as I finished gagging, Fitz walked up to me.

"Dude, you look kind of green, what's up?" He asked.

"Um...have you licked the strip on your locker? It tastes absolutely disgusting!"

"Yeah, but at least I'm not such a baby about it," he replied, jokingly. "Anyway, do you want to come over after school today? We could get our homework done in study hall and then have the entire afternoon to mess around."

"Oh Fitzy, ever the Wonderboy. You can get your homework done in study hall, while I'm planning my next epic prank! But yeah I'll be over right after I change out of this joke of a uniform."

"It's only you who makes a joke of it," he laughed as he walked away. "I'll see you after school!"

.

Right as study hall ended, I rushed to the Leapmaster, shouted "Candleshade," and let the light carry me away.

As soon as I got home, I rushed to my room, hoping I didn't run into my dad. Thankfully, I didn't. After changing into black pants and a red tunic, I went outside and rose my Everglen crystal to the sun.

It was pretty pathetic that I had an Everglen crystal but not one for my own house. House not home. I refused to call it that. Not with the way my mom neglected me and my dad never said anything to me unless it was hurtful or rude. Constant criticism, none of it constructive. He just wanted a clone, which I refused to be. If he wanted someone like him, he would have to figure out some other way. But now was not the time to think about my family issues. I had my best friend to meet.

I stepped into the light and in the blink of an eye, I was facing the enormous gates of the only place I could ever call home. Fitz opened the gates and we walked inside. We had been in his house for all of 5 minutes when Sophie got there. Fitz and I decided to ask the girls to play base quest with us, so we walked outside and met them halfway between the gate and the house.

Right as we were walking outside, I could feel Sophie's internal disgust as Biana was talking all about the makeover's they could give each other. Something about hair serums and gowns. But she kept a polite, interested face—ever the sacrificer.

Coming to her rescue, I chided, "Makeovers? You girls sure know how to have fun, maybe you can braid each other's hair and giggle about boys while you're at it."