Ditching and The Mysterious Miss F. - Book 1: Chapter 40

A/N: Keefe is so worried about her, and it's sooooo cute!

.

As usual, I was just ditching—it was Universe with Lady Belva again. I definitely didn't need any other excuse. It was just going to be a normal session—me sitting in my usual corner, but the afternoon took an unexpected twist.

"Show me Alden." A voice said from a couple feet away. Foster? What was she doing here?

"Sophie? What happened?" Alden sounded worried on the other end of the line.

She glanced over her shoulder before saying, "I found another note in my locker."

"We'd better not talk about it now, but I want you to come to Everglen as soon as school is over."

She nodded and sank against the wall as the call was cut off.

"Don't even think about claiming you're not mysterious anymore." I stepped out of the shadows, but not before Sophie screamed a little. I grinned. "Surprised to see me?"

It took a minute for her panic to subside. "What are you doing here?"

"This is my ditching spot—remember?" And the place where we first met, though I didn't say that. "So, you want to tell me why you're sneaking off to talk to Alden about mysterious notes?"

"It's not big deal, Keefe."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Nope, sorry, I'm feeling way too much panic to believe that."

I could feel annoyance as I said that. She couldn't lie around me. "I can't tell you Keefe, so don't ask."

I decided to go another route, "If you don't tell me, I'm going to teak everyone Valin is slipping you love notes."

"You—do what you have to do." Boy, she must be desperate.

I laughed. "Wow. This must be important." She didn't say anything, so I just shrugged. At least I could try to get a cool present out of this. "Fine, have it your way. But at the end of finals I want a really awesome gift as thanks for my silence."

"Deal." We shook hands and I started listing off a few things—mostly tunics embroidered with things like 'Keefe has the hottest hair on this planet' or 'Don't insult the hair.' I could tell she wasn't listening though, so I trailed off.

"How did you get into my locker after midterms?"

"I told you, I have my methods." If she got to be mysterious, then I should be too.

"I'm serious. How did you do it? It's supposed to need my DNA."

"Please. I never reveal my secrets."

"This is important, Keefe. If you don't tell me, I'll tell Alden and let you deal with him."

I could tell she wasn't going to give up. "It was already open, okay?"

"No way. I never leave my locker open."

"You must have. All I did was open it the rest of the way and drop my gift off."

"Nothing was missing. And you were the only one who put anything in."

"Yeah, which you never thanked me for, by the way. The nerve of some people." I was really just teasing, but I could tell she felt bad.

"Sorry. Thanks for the candy and the necklace."

"Necklace?"

"Yeah. You really didn't have to do that."

"Good, 'cause I didn't."

"What?"

"I gave you an extra large box of mood candy—that's it. Sounds like someone has a secret admirer. Seriously—how many boys do you have chasing you now?"

"A lot, I guess." But I could feel she had a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. What was going on?

.

A/N: Ya'll are so lucky I updated 3 times in one day! Thanks for all of the views! Love you guys!❣️