The Four Seasons Tree - Book 1: Chapter 46

A/N: Sophie is back in the picture!! Hope you enjoy . . . 

***

It had been two and a half weeks at that point. Everyone was slowly getting used to the idea of Sophie not being around, even me. Though I didn't like it, I knew nothing was going to change. I had spent four solid days my room, never emerging. My mom brought me food and I practically drowned in my own tears. Eventually felt like I needed to rejoin society, which took a minute to get used to after everything I had been through.

Even now, as I sat in Fitz's room, reflecting on the past weeks, I mourn Sophie—I just look somewhat normal. Fitz snapped in my face.

"Dude . . . you zoned out again," he said, playfully annoyed—though I could hear the sadness that crept into his voice. That was the new normal now and everyone knew it.

"Sorry, I was thinking about Sophie again. It's going to be a long time before I can let it all go." Truer words were never spoken.

Not even two seconds later, if Fitz himself had zoned out. Ever since I had gotten here, he had been holding the tiny purple dinosaur and card that Sophie had given him at Midterms. He clutched it now tighter than before. I couldn't blame him though, it was probably just his way of coping with the pain we all felt so deeply.

Before I knew it, his head snapped up and turned to me. "Sophie's alive."

.

Nothing could've prepared me for the onslaught of emotions I felt just then. Joy, anger, surprise, confusion. That last one was the strongest . . . How was she still alive? Didn't she jump and drown? Why did she trick us?

"How?" I asked—it was the only thing I could say.

"I don't know, I'm just as surprised as you are. She said something about Dex being really hurt and how she was too weak to hold on much longer."

"Well did she tell you anything about where they might be?"

"Yeah, she was describing the tree to me. She said it had green leaves, flowers, and snow. And that it was huge. I don't know where—"

"The Four Seasons Tree," I interrupted.

"Wait, what?"

"She's talking about the Four Seasons Tree. It's in the main courtyard in Luminaria."

"There's no way she is still alive. I mean come on . . . she jumped. There is almost zero chance of survival."

"Fitzy . . . The keyword in that sentence is almost. There's still a chance. And let's be real for a second . . . what's the harm in leaping there? It'll take all of five seconds, and if she isn't there, your imagination is running wack and you need to see Elwin for your insanity issues. But seriously—it can't hurt to check because personally, I would never forgive myself if she actually died because I was too slow to save her."

"Okay, you win." Fitz admitted with a sigh.

I grinned. "Of course I do."

We sped out of Fitz's room to the Leapmaster and we were gone in the blink of an eye.

.

We reappeared right next to the Four Seasons Tree—and there she was . . . weak and almost translucent, but still there. I'd never been so happy to see anyone in my life.

I rushed over to her, but immediately noticed Dex, crumpled on the ground and barely breathing.

"Leap him to Everglen," Fitz commanded. "Sophie's far too faded. I need to try and bring her back through her mind." He went silent. Through her mind? Was she a Telepath or something?

All I wanted to do was stay with Sophie, but I knew that Dex wouldn't be able to hold on much longer. I raised my Everglen crystal to the light and blinked away before I could steal one last look at her.

***

A/N: What did you guys think?? I hope you liked it! This had been a wild ride, and I can't believe I'm almost done with book 1 . . . Thank you guys for all the support—y'all are the reason I kept going! ❣️ What has been your favorite chapter so far? Let me know in the comments! As always: follow me, comment, vote, tell your friends! Thanks again!