Chapter 6

Penelope and I stroll through the aisles of the grocery store, me steering the cart while Pen puts in everything necessary

Penelope and I stroll through the aisles of the grocery store, me steering the cart while Pen puts in everything necessary. It's a Friday afternoon so the store is quite crowded but we manage to blend in well enough.

It had been a week since the...incident and I've took Penelope's advice and decided to lay low. It had worked fine but I had gotten a little bored. Turns out my only hobby or talent is being a criminal after all.

I had been a little shaken up at first. Every time I saw a police officer my heart skipped a beat but I am fine now.

"Hey, you don't like grilled chips," I tell Pen as she picks up a bag from the aisle and puts it in the cart.

"When have I said that?" She shrugs nonchalantly and continues down the aisle as I follow here.

"Uhm...every single time I try to sneak some into the cart," I say as if it's the most on obvious thing in the world. "And why are we buying beer?" I ask as she puts a few cans into the cart.

"It's good to have," she replies no emotion in her voice.

I could tell when she was lying. It was SUPER easy. She's always super excited about everything and then when she's telling a lie it's like she switches all of her emotions off to not seem suspicious.

"Are you having someone over?" I raise my eyebrows at her.

"What, no!" She says defensively. Too defensively...

"Oh my god you are!" I gasp teasingly and she just rolls her eyes. "Is it that guy from the bar? What'd you call him again, chocolate thunder?"

"Maybe," she drags out the word. "But just as friends!"

"Why just friends?" I ask as we pull up to the dairy section adding a carton of milk to the cart.

"Because there's this other guy as well," she says longingly.

"Damn Pen, save some for me," I joke causing her to break a smile.

"Well the guy at the bar's name is Derek. Super sexy by the way. And the other guy's name is Kevin."

"So who do you like more?" I ask.

"Well you see Kevin and I have so much in common, like he's a huge computer nerd and he's also really nice..." she trails of biting her lip.

"But..." I press her.

"There's no but." She exclaims.

"There's always a but," I roll my eyes.

"No there isn't."

"Yes there is, now spit it out!"

"Well I don't know, he's kind of boring," she says quickly. "Derek is more unpredictable and spontaneous. He's also really funny and he just makes me feel better you know?"