Chapter 5. Truly Gone

⚠️WARNING⚠️
Everything written here is fiction and exaggerated for the drama like most romance stories.

This chapter was inspired by Bridgerton the Netflix show.
------------------------------------

"W-what.?" Sophia asked as her jaw dropped.

"B-but I thought you wanted to make things right with me?" She questioned.

"I do. But I didn't even know till two days ago." Ace replied.

"I understand it's something you can't control.." Sophia tries to smile.

"I really am sorry...I was planning on fixing my friendship with you, but this threw it all off track.." Ace says with sincerity.

"So when are you leaving?" Sophia asks.

Ace sighs deeply.

"Tomorrow."

Sophia's heart drops. She only manages to let put short breaths.

She clears her throat and finally says, "Uhm it's getting late I should go home."

Ace agrees and Sophia heads home.

Sophia immediately runs upstairs to her bedroom. She flops onto her bed and starts listening to music.

She sighs.

"What should I do? Well, there's nothing I can do..." She says to herself.

Sophia feels relieved and hurt as she looks out her window at Ace's curtains.

***Timeskip***

It's the next day and Sophia wakes up realizing she must've passed out at some point.

Sophia yawns, slowly opening her eyes remembering what happened yesterday.

She exhales covered in chills.

It was a cold and foggy morning. Something about the air was different and crows were cawing in the distance.

Sophia takes a few deep breaths before getting out of bed and getting dressed in something comfy.

She throws on a hello kitty hoodie and sweatpants. She heads downstairs where her mom was waiting.

"Did Ace tell you they're moving yet?" Her mom asked.

"Hmm? Oh yeah, he told me yesterday.." Sophia replies.

Her mom runs over and hugs Sophia for a whole minute not saying a word.

After releasing her daughter she exhales and gives a lecture about losing friends and moving. Sophia blocks out her mother's words and wanders.

A few minutes later they head outside to say goodbye.

Before leaving Ace pulls Sophia aside and hands her a small box and letter. He didn't  say a word except, "Goodbye."

Sophia lets out a small bye.

After waving at the car Sophia and her mom's head back inside.

"What's in the box?" Her mom asks.

"I don't know. I'm gonna go upstairs and open it." Sophia answers.

Sophia runs to her bedroom and opens the letter first.

She begins to read aloud.

"Dear Sophia,
          Hi, it's Ace. You're probably wondering why I wrote this letter and what's in the box, but whichever it is you open first I hope you smile. You were there to hold my hand and they're in school, but I was never there for you. I was never there for you because I was scared. I thought it was best to stand and watch. When I realized it was hurting you I decided to distance myself. I thought the more I was around you the more Kanna would be there. And we both know how she is around you. I still tear myself up about whether I made the right choice or not. I watched over time as you forgot about me, ignored me, and changed. It breaks my heart knowing that I'm the reason you can't be who you were anymore. My dad said we might not ever come back so I'm going to take this chance to say everything. When I'm around you I feel safe, comfortable, and secure. I know that I can be me, I can be Ace. You've never judged me, though you've laughed at me. But I know it was harmless laughter. I'm sorry for making you second guess yourself and me. I'm sorry for never talking to you. Never smiling or laughing with you. We may have been best friends, but through friendship, you can find something even greater. Something even more special. And Sophia that is love. I've always liked you. Your different, your special. Though you may never feel the same, a man simply cannot control his feelings when he burns for another. I hope we one day meet again."

Sophia takes short breaths as tears roll down her face and hits the paper. Her lips quiver as she processes the letter. Sophia releases all her tears onto the paper.

Through the tears, she opens the box.
Inside she finds herself a new Kirby plushie. Below it was a small note saying, "This may not be your same Kirby, but I hope he makes you just as happy."

Sophia hugs the plushie and cries into it.

"It's perfect." She whispers.

Sophia eventually cries herself to sleep, but these tears were different. They weren't tears of sadness or stress. They were tears of relief, joy, and closure.

---------------------------------------------
Word count: 792