Chapter 1 Waking Up

"Onii-chan! Wakey-wakey!"

Asagi woke up only to see a little girl smiling brightly right upon his face. Who? He frowned, could not remember at all who the girl in front of him was, but before he could ask her, the girl had spoken up again.

"Onii-chan, hurry up, you're going to be late!"

Asagi was stunned.

Onii-chan?

Well, he did have a younger sister, but his sister was definitely not this little girl.

"You are...?" Asagi wanted to ask the little girl if she just called him her big brother, but before he could finish his line, the little girl had fled out of his room as she told her okaa-san that her onii-chan had woken up. Asagi was perplexed. He had no idea what was that all about. He figured he would have his answer if he asked that girl, but just as he sat upon his bed, he froze.

He did not recognize this place.

Where was he?

He was in a bedroom, but this bedroom was not his. The furnishings were different. It was also too tidy and clean to be his bedroom. He had been pulling all-nighters for three nights, alright?! He had no time for tidying up. His room was supposed to look messy!

A while later, after feeling more awake, Asagi went to the desk in the room. There was a school bag, a laptop, and some stationaries on it. Beside the desk, he found books arranged neatly inside bookshelves. When Asagi looked up at those books, he found them to be high schooler's books, light novels, and mangas. There were also English dictionary, English grammar book, and other non-fiction books that did not necessarily belong to the high school book category, but all those books were definitely related to the education of a high school student. Some books had a name written on them, others did not, but all the name he could find in those books were his own name: Nagayama Asagi.

Now that was weird. He was sure he had graduated from high school years ago. Also, he already donated all his high school textbooks because he did not need them anymore. How come these books had his name on them?

As he pondered over the situation he was in, Asagi saw a mirror at a corner of his eye. He walked there to check on his reflection. When he saw his face, he was shocked.

He looked younger in the mirror. The reflection clearly belonged to a high school boy—no, it was his face when he was still a teen!

"What's this? Did I go back to the past?" he mumbled in confusion. "But that can't be true. That girl is too young to be my sister. Also, this room is obviously not mine. What in the world happened here?"

Oh, maybe he was dreaming.

"But why would I dream about strangers in an unfamiliar place?" the novelist denied his own theory again. If he was dreaming about his youth, why was his sister different from the sister he knew? Why would he dream about a different bedroom? It was not as if he disliked his family, nor did he dislike his old home. So why would his dream be like this?

"Well, let's get out of this room first. Maybe I will figure out what happens if I talk with that girl and her mother," Asagi said. He walked towards the half-opened door, noticing a set of neat school uniform hanged behind it. Blue jacket, white shirt, blue trousers, and green tie. For some reason, he felt familiar with these uniforms, but he paid no mind to it since he needed to go meet the little girl and her mother soon to ascertain his current situation.

As he stepped outside the room, he saw an unfamiliar sight of a three-bedroom apartment before his eyes. This is definitely not my old home, he thought, because not only did this place look unfamiliar, his old home was not an apartment, but a two-story house with a small backyard. He could hear the sound of the TV from the direction that seemed to be the living room. He could also hear the little girl chatting with her mother. Asagi took a deep breath before taking another step, walking slowly and carefully to the living room. Once he was there, he saw a middle-aged man watching the TV from a sofa attentively as he sometimes sipped his drink. Behind the sofa were the kitchen and the dining room. A middle-aged woman was busy cleaning the kitchen while the little girl that he met before was watching her from her seat at the dining table, sometimes talking with her. The little girl called that middle-aged woman okaa-san, so that woman must be her mother. As for the middle-aged man, perhaps he was the father?