Chapter 11 The Transfer Student (2)

"Inaba didn't say anything wrong. We do know nothing about Kudo and if Sera wants to know more about him, indeed it will be better to ask Mouri and Suzuki instead of us," Asagi started. "Inaba's right, but it doesn't change the fact that it was us who reminded the students to be quiet about Kudo, not the teachers. It was also us who proposed to add more rules due to his circumstances, not the teachers. Once our proposal is established as an official rule, I'm sure she'll be curious. She'll question us, wondering how much we know about Kudo. When that happens, even Mouri and Suzuki won't be able to satisfy her. They don't know much about us. And even if we tell her that all we know is that Kudo's been working on a seemingly dangerous case, I doubt she'll readily accept our answer without more questions. There's a possibility she'll keep suspecting us. After all, she's a detective."

As he explained, Asagi silently kept reminding himself that even though the other student council members only knew a little about Shinichi, he as the president knew much more about him, even more than Ran thanks to the manga he had read in the real world. It was he who should be wary, not them. It was he who should be careful to avoid letting anyone notice that he knew much more about Shinichi. However, in case he made a blunder in front of the student council, he needed to remind them to be careful as well so that the information would stay inside the student council. He also needed them to remind himself to be careful so that he would not make any blunders.

Asagi was aware that in the student council, he was the most mature and the most powerful due to his real age being an adult and his position as the president, but he also knew that he was not invincible. He could make a mistake and once he made it, there would be no plot armor to guarantee that his mistake would not have any consequence since he was only an extra who was not even supposed to be in this world. Asagi was well aware of how weak he actually was. He was weak, so he still needed others to keep him in check. That was why he explained all this to the student council even though to them it might seem unnecessary. He could not allow himself to make mistakes. He should not make any blunder if he still wanted to live in peace.

"Even if she keeps suspecting us, she won't get anything since we truly know nothing more about him, so I think we don't need to worry too much," the vice president said again, only making it clear that this topic was unnecessary to him. It might be unnecessary to him, but not to Asagi. To him, this topic was important, so he replied by showing him and the others that it might not be as unnecessary as they thought.

"Yes, we may not need to worry too much, but there's no harm in being careful. Also, please remember that even the innocent can be framed and made into a criminal," Asagi emphasized. "You truly know nothing more, so act accordingly. Don't be nervous around her. No need to act smug either. It will only make her think that he's right to suspect us if we act smug or nervous when she asks us about Kudo. Remember she's a detective. Even if she's an amateur, we all have to assume that she still has the basic skill of prying info from others or even manipulating others. Don't be fooled by her. Especially you, Yoshino, since you're her classmate."

"What do you mean by manipulating, President?" Asakura asked.

"She may be able to manipulate other students into thinking that we know much more about Kudo. If that happens, it won't only be her who suspects us. The entire school will also suspect us. They may even antagonize us for various reasons."

"Such as?"

"Such as the misconception that we're keeping secrets about Kudo. Mouri and Suzuki will be the most furious ones in this case since they are Kudo's childhood friends. They will think that they deserve to know more and we have no right to keep Kudo's secret from them when the truth is we truly know nothing about him. Some people may also think in a negative way that we want to get authority over students by hiding information about Kudo, which we indeed will get once our proposal becomes official not because we want to dominate them, but because once that happens, it will be our duty to oversee them."