CHAPTER II: The Night We Met

It was the end of the day. You packed up your things in your suitcase to leave and finally go home. It had been a long day. Jane had tried to convince you two more times to go with her to the ball tomorrow at break and at lunch. That girl would not take no for an answer. Thankfully, she caved in and eventually asked Beatrice to go with her, who agreed. Thank goodness for that.

As you were walking to the exit, your boss caught you at the last second. Mr. Jugson. You nodded your head slightly at him. "Sir."

"Miss Y/N. You're going to the ball tomorrow, correct?" His multiple forehead wrinkles and bushy eyebrows were furrowed at you.

"Unfortunately, no. I won't be able to make it."

"Well you better clear your schedule. It's mandatory. The Ministry will be making a crucial announcement that you need to be there for," he told you.

"Me? Why do I have to be there?" And why can't I just hear the announcement at work the next week? You thought to yourself. That's odd.

"It's important."

"Okay. I'll see you there, then. Thank you for letting me know. Also, I'll need another invitation sent to me." You knew better than to question him.

Mr. Jugson nodded. "I'll send an owl. See you."

He went ahead, leaving you behind, standing in disappointment. He opted for the loo exit back into central London. Yuck. You had mixed feelings about your boss, he didn't bother you that much but he also wasn't a very great leader. He was lacking initiative. And to be honest, he was a bit of a dunce. But that wasn't your problem. You did what you were told to in order to make a living. There was no confusion as to why The Ministry was tanking though. And you didn't care enough to try and change that. You were just trying to get by after all. For now at least.

Once you got home, you collapsed onto your bed. Sweet freedom. Kind of. You had tried to forget about it. And then you remembered.

"Bloody hell. I have to go find something to wear."

You got changed again and went out to Diagon Alley to look for something. While you were shopping, you decided you would surprise Jane at the ball. You didn't want her to suddenly change her mind about Beatrice, not that she would. But just to be safe, you wouldn't tell her you were going until the last minute. Or until you showed up there. You were planning on minimizing your time there as much as possible anyway. A quick in and out after they make whatever announcement they had to share. That was a good plan.

A black dress caught your eye in the window display. It was long sleeve, with a v-neck, not too low, and it had a mid-length slit down the side of the skirt. It would work. You had some silver jewelry at home that would match it perfectly. Thankfully, you had gotten a glimpse of the dress code for the ball on the invitation right before you tore it to shreds. Once you purchased the dress, you headed down towards Knockturn Alley. Surprisingly, they had a pretty good shoe store over there. And it was affordable.

Usually, people avoided Knockturn Alley because of the seedy witches and wizards that hung around there. You weren't scared though, you knew how to protect yourself. It wasn't uncommon for there to be death eaters as well. Which you preferred to avoid. However, there were shops in the alley that had rather interesting artifacts you could not resist, like in Borgin & Bourkes. You saw some odd-looking items in the display window that you promised yourself you'd check out next week.

Although the witch who sold you the shoes looked entirely untrustworthy, you figured she wouldn't hex a pair of shoes, she was probably trying to make a living like wizards anywhere else. Even if this was death eater central, there were still plenty of people here in Knockturn Alley struggling also; like most wizards today because of The Monarchy's rising power over The Ministry. You didn't want to think about it right now. You figured that there wasn't much you could do to change it.