CHAPTER VII: Malfoy Manor

You opened up your hand to look at the locket. When Loki kissed you on the forehead, you hurriedly reached into his pocket and stole it. If he wanted to use you, he would have to learn that he'd never win that way. He had manipulated you and you had fallen for it. Despite your growing feelings for him that you were trying so desperately to deny, you knew what you had to do.

Loki was extremely hard to read and the most confusing and unpredictable person you'd ever met before. One day he was acting like a gentleman and the next day he was an arrogant arsehole. You couldn't even tell what side he was really on. He didn't seem like he prescribed to Riddle's belief system. He never even mentioned anything about siding with the death eaters or hating muggle-borns. All you knew was that he wanted as much power as possible. Did that mean he was after Tom Riddle? What were his true intentions?

After you stole the locket, you contacted the aurors and let them know you had it. You met them at a secret location to give it to them. That's when lead auror, Rufus Scrimgeour, asked you how you got it.

"I believe that the death eaters were unsuccessful in their mission. I didn't contact any of you when they arrived because there were too many of them. We would've been outnumbered and it would've been carnage. Instead, after they left, I searched the graves and found the locket," you explained. Why were you still protecting Loki after all that? After you knew that he was only using you?

"You expect us to believe that they weren't able to find something that important? That they didn't search high and low and that they failed that easily?" Scrimgeour asked you.

You nodded. "You can check the graves. They were all entirely destroyed. I found it somewhere they didn't think to look. Under the dead man's tongue." Shit. Would they believe that? It had to be as incredulous as possible. You almost laughed at yourself.

Scrimgeour and the other aurors nodded.

"If you still don't believe me, you can use veritaserum on me," you told all of them. You knew they probably had their doubts about you since you were the only Slytherin there.

"That's not needed, Y/N. We believe you. Thank you for this. This is a win. A huge step in the right direction. We needed this," Scrimgeour said to everyone. Some of the aurors then cheered and clapped.

Was your decision to lie to them morally sound? You didn't know. Honestly, you weren't sure if you were on the aurors' side either. You were kind of just forced into this position. Although you had your values, how could you believe that the aurors were completely just and level-headed in their actions? This was a war. And people are willing to do anything in a war, even if they think they're the ones on the good side. However, when it came down to it, you'd rather side with them then the death eaters.

You decided you wouldn't tell anyone that Loki was a death eater. Not even Thor or his family. Did they deserve to know? Absolutely. But you had a feeling that this secret would ruin everything for them and it wasn't yours to tell. It was too dangerous.

Loki told you that you'd join him. Why did he seem so sure about this? Did he really think you liked him enough that you would join Riddle's side for him? How ridiculous. It hadn't even been that long yet. You still had mixed feelings. It's not like your feelings for him would ever upstage your beliefs. Or would they? You had already changed your mind so much in the past few weeks. You even lied for him just now to very important people. It was beginning to get even harder to trust yourself. You needed to keep fighting your feelings for him.

Another few weeks went by with no news from anyone. Loki had apparently disappeared from the Odinson Estate altogether. You wondered what he thought and what he did when he discovered he didn't have the locket anymore. The aurors were planning and gaining intel. Jane seemed really worried for both you and Thor. Thor was actively searching for Loki even though his parents told him to leave him be. Did his parents know something? And Jane had never even questioned if you had seen Loki recently. Everything felt so strange and desperate and unsure.