CHAPTER III: The Dance

"What is that?" You asked staring at his hand, confused. You weren't expecting this after he had ignored you for most of the night.

"It's my hand. Take it." You looked up at his face expecting to see him annoyed, but instead he appeared to be amused. His voice was deep, almost alluring in a way. You were trying your best to not be affected by how good-looking he was.

"No, thank you. I don't dance," you said, looking right into his eyes so that he knew you were serious.

"You don't like to or you don't know how?" He asked.

"Both," you crossed your arms, expecting him to give up by now. But his hand was still out.

"I won't leave here until I get a dance with you," he said. He looked into your eyes. He was serious also.

"Well, then you'll be waiting here all night," you told him. You smirked when you saw the look of disappointment cross on his face. You then took his hand just so you could get this all over with.

He lead you to the ballroom's dance floor near where Thor and Jane were standing. Jane threw a quick wink at you and you shook your head thinking about how incredulous this whole night had been. In a perfect world, you would have already left this place thirty minutes ago. Or never even had to come.

"Y/N. May I?" Loki motioned to put his hand on your waist. You nodded and he did. You put your hand on his left shoulder. You made sure to keep your face expressionless as possible when he brought his face closer to yours. Up close, he looked to be about ten years older than you.

You and Loki began to dance slowly to the classical music playing. The truth is, you sort of knew how already. You just loved to make excuses and get out of things you didn't like to do. Too bad it hadn't worked on him.

Loki seemed unfazed at the fact that you weren't stepping on his toes or anything. He must've known you were just making excuses as well.

"I'd say congratulations but you don't you seem too excited about your promotion," Loki said, smirking.

"I'm not. I was okay with where I was at the Ministry," you told him.

"Judging from your reaction, they didn't tell you anything about this either? How strange."

"Absolutely nothing." You shook your head in your current state of mental anguish.

"Oh dear. It seems like something The Ministry would do. You know, The Monarchy would never do something like that to you," he told you with a slight, proud grin.

You became slightly annoyed at his arrogant tone of voice. "Let me guess, you work at The Monarchy? Good for you. So then why are you here? To be able to claim that you witnessed the beginning of the downfall of The Ministry?" You shook your head. You wished you were Beatrice right about now.

Loki chuckled darkly. "It's like you read my mind."

You didn't really care about The Ministry. Like you had thought to yourself earlier, you were only working there to make a living. But the way Loki talked about it angered you. So many people had lost their jobs and because The Ministry was flunking, evil was growing.

"I can acknowledge that The Ministry has many faults. But it has lead the Wizarding World and maintained peace and knowledge about our people for hundreds of years. It's a shame to celebrate something like The Ministry's failure. We will always need them." You stepped on his foot as hard as you could. He grimaced. "Sorry. I told you I didn't know how to dance," you gave him your best angelic smile while you looked into his eyes. You attempted to let go of his hand, but he squeezed yours harder and wouldn't let you leave until you were face to face with him again. He then smiled back at you.

"What are you doing?" You asked him, annoyed.

"I'm not done speaking with you," he said.

"Well I am." You tried letting go of his hand one more time but he wouldn't let go. Some strange, strong, part of you didn't feel like fighting this right now and making a scene, so you relaxed your body and you stayed.

He smiled again. "That's too bad. There's more I want to know. Are you truly going to be his assistant? You don't seem like the type of woman for that."

"And what type is that? You don't know me." You asked curiously.

"You seem like someone that would require a bigger role in things. Not picking up after people and running errands for them."

You didn't know whether that was an insult or a compliment. "I'm sure that there's more to being the Minster of Magic's assistant than that." You rolled your eyes at him. He was so arrogant. It seemed like he was trying to get even more of a reaction out of you with that comment. You wondered how similar he was to his brother, Thor. He certainly was eccentric, just like how Jane described him.

"You know, there are some spots open at The Monarchy. With your experience working here and judging by what Mr. Jugson said, you would get a fairly high position without having to work your way up." You couldn't read the expression on his face. Was it concern? Pity? More arrogance? That's probably what it was.

"No thank you. I'm okay with where I'm at. We don't know what will happen this year anyway. Maybe The Ministry will regain its governing footing and finally get a hold on stopping all of the evil cults that are being created." You were almost ready to step on his foot again when Thor and Jane came to dance next to you two.

"So are you two getting to know each other better?" Jane asked.

You forced a smile. "Yeah. I feel like I already know so much about him." And you were some getting to know him too.

Loki was smiling as well, and oddly, his smile looked genuine. "We're getting along really well." Why did he sound serious?

"If he ever says anything slightly offensive, just remember he's adopted," Thor told you.

"Hm. That explains a lot," you looked back at Loki. Thor definitely seemed a lot friendlier and well-behaved.

"Hey. What's that supposed to mean?" He asked you.

"Nothing." You almost snorted.

Jane and Thor talked to you two for a few more minutes and then headed towards the hors d'oeuvres.

"So what was this you were saying about evil cults again?" Loki asked you.

"I thought it was obvious. Death eaters. Tom Riddle and all his weak-minded, easily-influenced followers," you said, disgusted.

Loki was silent. He looked to be in a sudden state of deep thought.

"What are you thinking of? Are you about to argue for the sake of death eaters and that they're not entirely brainwashed and morally corrupt?" You asked him.

"No. You're correct. Death eaters are morally corrupt and they mindlessly follow Tom Riddle without a second thought." You couldn't read Loki's expression again.

You were almost in shock that he agreed with you.

"You shouldn't be voicing your opinions like that so out in the open, Y/N. Particularly to strangers. You never know who you can trust in these trying times." Loki was looking into your eyes deeply whilst he said this and then finally let go of your hands. He left you on the dance floor and headed towards Jane and Thor. That was strange. And was your heart suddenly beating so fast?