Chapter 33: I'll Be Fine

Delilah slipped out of John B's bedroom without a sound, trying not to disturb JJ's sleep. 

No matter his protests, she hadn't let him sleep in the same house as his father. The boy was much too emotionally exhausted to counter her determination to protect him. 

Pope had taken guard by JJ's bedside, talking him to sleep in a soft voice. JJ hadn't even thought of rolling his eyes. 

Kiara was laid on the couch, ready to take over Pope's post as soon as he got too tired. In the meantime, she was silent, frowning as she tried to sort through everything going on. 

Delilah dropped by her side, unable to find the strength to care about her hair as it fell in front of her face.

"Thanks for taking charge," whispered Kiara, staring into the void. "I don't think I would've been able to do that."

"I only did what was necessary," she answered with a weak smile, trying to hide her inner turmoil.

Kiara slid her hand in Delilah's, squeezing it gently. "It's crazy how your strength affects us all. Sometimes, you're the only thing that keeps us going."

Her heart clenched, afraid that it would take a single misstep for that strength to dissolve.

"Did you find John B?" she quietly asked, determined to change the subject.

Kiara pressed her lips together. "Yes. I'm not sure if he believed us or not. Either way, he said he was going fishing with Ward tomorrow morning, and that it would be the perfect opportunity to make sure he was the mystery guy before taking any actions."

Delilah pinched the bridge of her nose. "Is he mad? The guy literally tried to kill us."

"Try to understand him," argued Kiara. "Did we really expect the most respected man on the island to be like this? The guy saved John B, and I think he still hopes that this is a mistake."

The blonde girl nodded thoughtfully. "I guess it's easier for me than it is for the rest of you."

Kiara tilted her head to the side. "How?"

"I've seen how he acted with Rafe. I know Rafe better than anyone, and I could recognize some of the character traits he inherited from his father, along with a long history of compulsive actions and anger issues."

The curly haired girl fell silent for a short moment. "I haven't seen him in a while."

"He's trying to change."

"I'll believe it when I see it," scoffed Kiara.

Delilah shot her a look, which she responded with a sorry smile, leaning her head on her friend's shoulder. 

Her body felt heavy, sinking into the mattress, but even in her state of extreme tiredness, she couldn't seem to fall asleep. Her brain refused to rest. Perhaps it was her way of coping with the stress of the responsibilities she had forced upon herself. By going over the evidence she had collected she was certain she wasn't making a mistake. 

Although she would have been annoyed to be back to square one by discovering that she was wrong about their assailant, she hoped John B would be safe. Yet another friend she felt responsible for. She really had to stop doing that. 

Delilah breathed deeply, thinking through the process of charging Luke Maybanks for child abuse. She needed all her focus in order not to lose the little cool she had collected. 

She blinked out of her concentration as Kiara stirred, mumbled something about Pope needing some rest and getting up. 

She subconsciously registered as Pope sat down beside her, distracting her from her thoughts as his arm grazed hers. Shivers of delight went down her spine, a pleasant difference from the shaking anger she had felt a few hours before. 

The reminder was a slap back into reality and she buried her face in her hands with a sigh.

"Are you ok?" softly asked Pope, stroking her hair and the base of her neck.

"I'll be fine," she breathed.

"Hey," he said, gently forcing her to look him in the eyes. "You're not alone, you know that?"

A weak smile graced her lips as she looked away. 

She knew that, of course she did. But she would never burden her friends with responsibilities she had taken of her own free will. So she stayed silent, unwilling to say something that would resemble a lie.

"Lilah," whispered Pope with such concern she had to bite her lip. "Come here."

The boy opened his arms, an invitation she couldn't refuse. She pressed herself against his chest, letting him wrap his arms around her. Through his embrace, she felt his need to protect her from the world she had thrown herself in, his desire to understand what she was going through. She closed her eyes, soothed by the warmth of his body.

"You can't take care of everyone," he chided, resting his chin on the top of her head. "No one can take that kind of weight without dragging themselves down too."

"I'll be fine," she murmured, her nose skimming the collar of his shirt. "Always am, always will be."

He sucked in a sharp breath, but refused to be distracted. "Let me help."

"Then stay," she breathed, snuggling closer to him. "That's all I need."

Heart beating wildly, Delilah could feel every single butterflies in her stomach as Pope gently kissed her neck. She could sense with frightening accuracy every detail of his soft lips, even after they had stopped touching her skin. Did he even know what he was doing to her? 

A sudden burst of boldness took over as she rested her hand against his chest, moving back in order for them to be face to face. With a certain satisfaction, she heard him suck in a sharp breath, his heartbeat picking up from under her fingers. 

The light of the morning sun created shadows on his face, carving the sharp outlines of his features. His dark curls stuck up in random places on the top of his head and a soft smile painted her lips as she slipped her fingers through them. 

His gaze darted to her lips for a brief instant, but long enough for her to catch it. Delilah was nearly certain that she was blushing as much as he was.

 She had to back away, she knew she had to before she did something she would regret, but God above was it hard. She savored his touch for another moment until the realization that she had been here all night caught up to her.

"I have to go," she sighed, getting up and shivering from the lack of body heat.

Disappointment dimmed his eyes, but he forced himself to smile. "I know."

She made her way to the door but paused and looked back towards Pope, who still hadn't moved.

"Pope?" she asked, digging through her memory. "Didn't you have something planned today?"

He bit the inside of his cheek. "Tomorrow, actually. My scholarship interview."

She smiled. "I'll come wish you luck tonight."

"I'll need luck just to go home," he grimaced. "My father is going to be so mad."

She winced in sympathy. "Maybe if I'm there he'll cool down a bit."

"Maybe." He looked doubtful. "But please come."

"I'll see you tonight, then."

"Tonight," he grinned, as if the promise meant more to him than she would ever understand.

Her only wish was to never let him down.

A/N Hello Folks, long time no see :) Sorry for the late update guys, things have been hectic, but I swear I'm trying. What do you think of the Pope-Delilah interaction? 

Thanks for still being there and voting, I'm lucky to have such loyal reader, 

-Aella