Chapter 22

It was around midnight when Delilah was awakened by the sound of Motley Crue at full volume on her phone. 

Muttering a string of curse words, she fumbled around in the dark until her fingers grasped her phone laying on her bedside table. She certainly hoped her aunt and uncle hadn't woken up.

"Hello?" she said in a groggy voice.

"Lilah?"

She straightened, her stomach tightening as questions poured out of her mouth. "Pope? Where are you? What's going on?"

"At the hospital, John B had an accident," he said distractedly.

She gasped. "Is he alright?"

"He'll be good. He was lucky."

"Thank God," she exhaled. "How did it happen?"

"Topper pushed him off the tower where Sarah was giving him the map." She could hear the frown in his voice.

"The idiot," growled Delilah, her eyes flashing dangerously. "What was he thinking? He could have killed John B!"

"As much as it doesn't excuse anything, the guy was drunk."

She sighed, irritated and shook her head.

"We have another problem," muttered Pope, dropping his voice considerably.

Delilah tensed, her eyebrows scrunched together. "What's going on?"

"Ward just adopted John B."

She paused, registering what he had said. "I beg your pardon?"

"As a thank you for saving Sarah, apparently," continued Pope.

A whirlwind of thoughts took over. Warnings and theories creating themselves at such a fast pace that it made her head spin.

"Something isn't right," she said uneasily. "The coincidence is striking, don't you think?"

"That's true. But maybe that's all it is, a coincidence."

She sighed, trying to quiet her thoughts. "Maybe."

"I'm sorry for waking you up," he said softly.

A small smile tugged at her lips. "Don't worry, I would have wanted you to call me."

"We're meeting at John B's tomorrow to get updated on what the hell is going on. You're coming, right?

"Of course." She hesitated. "What are you doing now?"

He sighed heavily. "I don't think I'll be able to sleep. And my dad needs a bit more time to cool off."

"How about we meet at John B's in fifteen minutes?"

"Sounds great," he said, a smile brightening his voice. "See you there!"

Dressing herself in the first outfit she could find, Delilah tiptoed down the stairs, making sure to leave a note on the fridge before sneaking out. 

The summer air washed over her face as she stepped into the driveway, the cool breeze waking her up enough to walk at a brisk pace. The stars were bright, leading the way through the night. 

She walked for a long time, her feet leading her without actually needing to think about it. In the dark, her shoulders relaxed, knowing that no one was watching her. 

A gentle fire glowed in front of John B's house, serving as a lighthouse in the night. Pope leaned back on a swing, the kind that was comfortable enough to sleep on, head tilted back towards the stars. His eyes were closed, as if he was trying to sort through his thoughts.

"Hello," she said softly, trying not to startle him.

He cracked open an eyelid, a smile gracing his tired features. "Good evening."

Heart pounding in her chest, she sat close to him as if it was the most natural thing in the world. The heat of his skin washed over her, tingles sparking from where her arm pressed against his. 

She played it cool as he slipped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer, her smile the only hint of what she was actually thinking. 

Delilah glanced up, thrill coursing through her body at the sight of the bright blush on his cheeks. She nestled herself against his side, sighing in contentment. The stress that had stiffened her muscles throughout the night suddenly melted, leaving her with a serenity she wasn't used to feeling.

"Whoever is behind this," distractedly said Pope, eyes lost in the stars. "They are the connection to everything. Scooter, the guys hunting us down, the Royal Merchant and John B's father disappearing. I just can't seem to see... who, and why."

"It'll come," she whispered, her brain refusing to function in its tired state. "We'll figure it out."

Pope nodded, only partly hearing what she was saying. "They're dangerous. We have to be careful, you know? I don't want any of us to end up in the same state as the guys found in the marsh."

"Hey," Delilah said softly, reaching up to cup his cheek. "Stop thinking for a moment. You're going to drive yourself off the edge by worrying so much."

He sighed. "I know." A light smile graced his lips as he watched her fondly, his fingers playing with strands of her hair. "Thanks for being here with me."

She gently shook her head. "I want to be here, you fool. Don't thank me for that."

His lips grazed her forehead, sending a shiver down her spine as she closed her eyes, soon falling into a dreamless sleep.

A/N Hey, folks! Thanks for being patient with me and my wacky update schedule. 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Although it was kind of short... 

-Aella