Chapter 25

Delilah buried her face in her hands, JJ and John B's laughter floating around her.

"I can't believe we just abandoned them on that boat," she squeaked, trying not to smile.

"In our defense," grinned JJ, not looking the slightest bit guilty. "It's for their own good."

"God, I hope this works," muttered John B, looking back over his shoulder as if he could still see Kiara and Sarah's furious expressions.

"For your sake, John B," said Pope, warning clear in his tone. "Or else, you're in for trouble."

He groaned.

JJ clapped him on the back. "Come on, we have the afternoon off. Let's go fishing!"

Delilah shot up, a bright smiling lighting her features. "Yes!"

John B raised an eyebrow. "Someone's excited."

Her smile remained. "I've been wanting to go fishing for months."

She didn't have to ask twice. John B turned the boat, heading out to the best fishing spot in the region. 

Closing her eyes, she lifted her head up to savor the heat of the sun and the wind rushing through her short hair as the boat shot forward. They navigated through the marsh, the smell of mud and salt drifting floating around them. 

In the back of her mind, she was reminded of the bodies found in the marsh but shook her head. Today, she wouldn't think about anything of the sort. It was time to enjoy herself, tomorrow would be another story. 

With barely contained enthusiasm, she grabbed the fishing rod that was offered to her, flinging the string out into the water. Silence fell over the group, as each retreated to their own calm space. With mechanical movements, she riled and threw the line once more, repeating the movements over and over until a familiar tug made her jerk the rod, hauling a fish into the bucket beside her. 

The simplicity of the activity made a soft smile curve her lips. She eased into the activity, bathing in the peacefulness of the moment until her arms ached from their constant movement.

"It's boiling," huffed JJ, taking off his hat in order to wipe off a bead of sweat.

"More than usual," she agreed, setting down her fishing rod to turn around and face them.

Pope had his feet kicked up on the dash, leaning back with his eyes closed, enjoying the sun. "What are you talking about? It's a perfect day to tan."

JJ rolled his eyes. "As if you need a tan."

Pope stuck out his tongue.

"Time for a swim," she grinned. "Who's joining me?"

John B shrugged, taking off his shirt. "Sounds like a good idea."

Without waiting for the others' response, she unbuttoned her shirt, revealing the pale blue swimsuit underneath. She'd come prepared. After all, she was here on vacation. 

Delilah stood, stepping on the tip of the boat's nose and looked back, she hands on her hips. JJ whistled appreciatively, which she received with a laugh. Although she didn't normally enjoy getting catcalled, there was always a certain satisfaction in getting a hot guy's attention. 

But her stare slid from JJ, landing on a flustered Pope, who suddenly looked away. The sight of him shirtless reminded her of the night they had spent together at her aunt and uncle's, making a light blush spread on her cheeks. 

She turned away, not that she didn't enjoy the view of his abs on display, and dove into the water, letting the chill wash away whatever thought was going through her head.